Identifying bighead and silver carp

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mneilson_*

Guest_mneilson_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

Recently came across a video produced by US Fish and Wildlife on how to identify/distinguish bighead and silver carp. Video is

#2 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

Well what about the hybrids? There has few populations of hybrids between bighead and silver carps.

#3 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:02 AM

Hybrids? Kill them, and let the crawfish sort them out.

#4 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

????

I was asking about how to ID a hybrid asian carp.....either way it's a raccoon food.

#5 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

It was early, and I just had to express my feelings on Asian carp in general. The front line of the silver invasion is just now hitting my area in SW LA, and they are probably using the Intracoastal Waterway to move, which is bad, bad, bad.

I wonder if anyone's doing genetic work on the hybrids.

Attached File  asiancarp_fws.jpg   73.47KB   0 downloads

Edited by rjmtx, 25 August 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#6 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

So far no YOY of Asian carps have found in the southeast area of Minnesota and I hasn't heard any reports of adults being captured recently since last March/April but don't get your hopes up.....and I felt sick when I got a new poster of Minnesota's fishes and they just added a bighead carp to the fauna. Recently I read an article about black carps in United States, it was interesting information about black carps.

#7 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

Yep, we have the black carp in Louisiana now, too, but they're tricky to identify unless you know what you're looking for. I've heard theories on silver carp (bigheads too) having difficulty spawning in soft water, and it will limit their spread, but I'll believe it when I see it. Even if it does they could still adapt.

#8 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

So how you can tell between black carp and grass carp?

#9 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:47 PM

Black carp pharyngeal teeth are different. They're like molars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users