Nerite Eggs on Glass

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_73amc_*

Guest_73amc_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:17 AM

So yesterday, I took 2 of my Tiger Nerites out of my QT tank and put them in my 55. They have been in my 10 gallon QT tank for a month for observation. Well, 12 hours later I woke up to about 12 eggs that look like a sesame seed on my back glass. What should I do? Should I do anything? Ive read that usually they need salinity to hatch, but Ive read in other cases they will in fact hatch in FW alone. While I dont mind a few more snails, I dont want to be over run with them. I have never encountered this before.

Need some advice guys!

Thanks,

Justin

#2 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

I have never been able to hatch the eggs in either fresh or brackish water. Let me know if you figure it out. They don't persist on the glass forever, although their volume can be annoying at times.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

All you need is a darter or two... or a sunfish... there are so many fish that appreciate a nice escargot dinner... its hard to be over run by snails. And they are good at cleaning up extra fish food and such.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

Technically, some species of nerite snails can and do hatch in freshwater - and yet most people report that even when the eggs disappear, the snail's young are never observed. To my understanding, this is because unlike most freshwater snails, nerites hatch while still in their free-swimming, extremely small velliger stage. Those guys are promptly eaten up by filters and/or starve to death from the lack of green water to eat. In other freshwater snails like pocket snails and ramshorn snails, this form is completed in the egg and they hatch into tiny versions of the adult snails instead. In short, I highly doubt you will be overrun by nerites! :biggrin: But that wouldn't be a bad problem to have - lots of people want them and you could make good money off of them if you really do manage to find a good way to grow the young out.
Hope that helps!

#5 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

Freshwater nerite eggs hatch in freshwater, but the planktonic veliger larvae must drift downstream to brackish or seawater to develop and transform into bottom-crawling snails. Then they start climbing upstream, back to freshwater. Amano shrimp (Caridina japonica) and some Macrobrachium do this too. So you can (theoretically) raise them if you transfer the larvae to higher salinity soon after hatching. I'm guessing the "right" salinity may depend on species.

#6 Guest_73amc_*

Guest_73amc_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

2 darters and 3 sunfish just got happy reading this...

#7 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

Breeding snails is a constant struggle for me. Ramshorns are pretty easy when I can afford to set up a tank just for them, but their survival rate is almost zero in any tank with fish.

I had done a bit of reading on Nerites, mostly on here, and had tried raising them in brackish water, but I didn't know they had a free-swimming form and I had been running a sponge filter in that setup.

#8 Guest_jacksmelt_*

Guest_jacksmelt_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

2 darters and 3 sunfish just got happy reading this...

1 darter and 4 sunfish are just as happy! i put 6 nertrites, a doz. ramshorns, and 10 trumpets in my 55 gal. tank just recently. should be interesting!.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users