Photo

Fish in Focus on the NANFA Web Site

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

Matt, why would you need a special permit to collect Christmas darters? First off, what exactly is a collectors permit. Secondly, Christmas darters are a species of concern which holds no formal protection. Christmas darters are very common where found in the state and are only of concern due to their small range in the state.

As for the article, it sounds perfect and we would love to have it. We have no similar serial rights policy. We will publish it any time you like.

I'm not really sure how this happened. I should've said "Scientific Collecting Permit". I called Dan Rankin about my intended E. hopkinsi collecting, as my target stream falls in Region One. I didn't think being a species of special concern put them off limits, but if I was going to put something like that in print, I wanted to double check. That, and I had some questions about collecting up in the mountains; I still want to do that while the loophole is open. He said he thought I might need to have a scientific collecting permit, and referred me to the woman who issues such permits, Ms. Hasting, I think. She said yes, I ought to have one and here I am.

Michael, SC Wildlife does pay about 20 cents a word. Not huge money, but it's always been little goal of mine to get paid to write something. Money is hardly my motivator, however. I just enjoy writing but haven't done it in ages. I wanted to start again, and thought this would be a rewarding place to do so, pay or no. I would indeed appreciate any feedback on what I've done. I've also been in touch with Ken out in Iowa to get some low down on E. hopkinsi reproduction. I know next to nothing about it. He's generously offered to field some questions from me, when I figure out what direction this piece ends up going. I would most certainly acknowledge his help, and that from anyone else. No ghosting necessary!

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I appreciate it.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#42 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

Check out the new Fish in Focus Everglades Pygmy Sunfish written by Dustin Smith with photos by Michael Teesdale

http://www.nanfa.org...vergladei.shtml
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#43 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

well written & great photos guys.

#44 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

With the new issue of American Currents just out we have a new Fish in Focus! Christmas Darters!

As always you can go to the main NANFA we page at http://www.nanfa.org and then click on Fish in Focus near the bottom of the left hand column. Or you can go directly to the Christmas Darter page by clicking here.

Thanks to Matt Kneply for another fine addition to this (my favorite) series.

If you like what Matt has done, you should think about writing one yourself for a fish in your home area!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#45 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:25 PM

Its been a while... but we have a new Fish in Focus on the website.   From the most recent issue of American Currents, check out the Yellowfin Shiner!

Matt Knepley rings the bell again with another great fish from our local drainages.

Do you have any cool fishes in your home region? Tell us about it and we can get it published on the web and in AC!

#46 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:11 PM

Matt Knepley strikes again... this time with an excellent FiF... Arctic Grayling.

As always you can go to the main NANFA we page at http://www.nanfa.org and then click on Fish in Focus near the bottom of the left hand column.

Or you can go directly to the Arctic Grayling page by clicking here.

#47 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:47 AM

Thank you, Michael; I sincerely appreciate the attention and kind words. But you are being a tad too modest, my friend. I never would have gotten the E. hopkinsi FIF off the ground (out of the water?) had you not encouraged me, collected with me, and critiqued my draft. You are co-author and lead photographer on the Yellowfin FIF. It was a collaboration I enjoyed.

I appreciate the attention, but you must take your fair share of credit! :)

I'm pondering the next FIF, but til then, if anybody has one they are considering - do it! And if you feel as if you want/need some help and support to make it happen then just ask. There are plenty o' folks on here who'd love to help you on your way!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#48 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:34 AM

MORE UPDATES:

We have two new contributions from NANFA members to the Fish In Focus project.

Jake Wade has contributed a write up on Orangethroat Darters. http://www.nanfa.org/fif/Ebellum.shtml

Matt Knepley has contributed a summary of his experience keeping a Mud Sunfish. http://www.nanfa.org.../Apomotis.shtml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users