Guest_soccer_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

Would a margined madtom eat tessellated darter or bluespotted sunfish? Thanks

#2 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

Depends a lot on size of those involved. Tessellated darter definitely at risk being rather easy to fit in a margined madtom mouth even if just one end. Bluespot, depends more on relative size between the sunfish and madtom. Plus the darter will be down at madtoms level most of the time. If you have a full size robust tessellated darter and a small madtom they'll probably be fine, for now at least. Keep the madtom well fed, but then it will grow faster.

Edited by keepnatives, 05 September 2012 - 08:50 PM.

#3 Guest_soccer_*

Guest_soccer_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

The tessellated darters a large, so I think they should be ok.

Thank you!

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

Yes, Margined Madtoms are fish eaters when they get larger... the darters will not be OK... not for long... see this thread...

http://forum.nanfa.o...tom-fish-eater/
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

I've learned my lesson regarding any catfish.Anything big enough to go in their mouth goes in their mouth. I currently have a young 3-4 inch bullhead in my 75 but he is my baby crayfish eater. I put my last 2 baby Marbled crayfish in my 75 gallon and much to my surprise they are still there and are growing. Just so I won't get overrun with them I put the bullhead in there. When he gets to be a threat to my adult crayfish I have a friend with a pond.

#6 Guest_soccer_*

Guest_soccer_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

Ok thanks! Looks like that combonation won't work, I'll have to think of something else.

#7 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:04 AM

I am having a similar issue. My 20 long has a five inch tadpole madtom and a good sized algea eater. He grew bigger than I thought a madtom would. (I had the impression they got only 2-3 inches long) and his mouth seems wide. I am unsure what would be safe to put in with him.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users