few more saltwater fish

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

These are the rest of the fish that I've always wanted a definitive ID on...For all of these fish it is hard to find good pics on the net

Planehead Filefish? I've seen it vary in appearance alot

Posted Image

#2 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

Is this same species as the above fish?

Posted Image

#3 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

Sand Seatrout or Silver Seatrout. Caught in Sarasota in the bay

Posted Image

#4 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

This one was caught in Sarasota but out in 30 ft of water couple miles offshore, same species?

Posted Image

#5 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

You certainly catch a good variety of species! First two I think are both planehead filefish -- deep body shape, lack of distinguishing features. The second two are trickier because they are both very similar -- I'll tentatively call the second a sand seatrout, but the first I can't say for sure. I enlarged your picture and counted fin rays. When I have seen them before, they were caught in nets. This makes things easier because silver seatrout lose scales easily, but sand seatrout do not

#6 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

Thanks Mzokan- I'll just go with Sand Seatrout for both of those fish, I held them and don't recall scales coming off.

What about this stingray? Caught 3 weeks ago off a Long Island beach. This thing was a Beast. Not sure if it's a Bluntnose Ray, Roughtail Ray, or a far wandering Southern Stingray. Any idea?

Posted Image

#7 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

Another view

Posted Image

#8 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

Ok last one (I think). Might as well try to get a confirm on this guy because he was so out of place. I caught this Grouper off a dock on south shore Long Island. It looks similar to the Gag Groupers I catch in Florida but I'm not sure. He lives in my fish tank now

Posted Image

Edited by FishyJackson, 26 September 2012 - 11:34 AM.

#9 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

I looked up Long Island stingrays on google and found a page on Ny and NJ skates and rays. http://njscuba.net/b...kates_rays.html

It said the bluntnose stingray is most common in the area but the atlantic and southern have both been known to stray into the area.

A little bit more reading shows the roughtail stingray also occurs in the area.

Edited by FirstChAoS, 26 September 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#10 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

Chaos- Thanks I found that too, hard to tell. This thing says Roughtail is more common aruond Long Island. http://www.newsday.c...sland-1.1369886

They all look so similar

#11 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

I think the stingray is a bluntnose -- a roughtail would have denticles running the length of the tail and an Atlantic would have a more pointed snout, southern is harder to rule out, but the wings would be more pointed and have more of a diamond shape overall

And your grouper is a gag -- a black would have a bolder, more regular color pattern

#12 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:56 PM

Bluntnose seeming the most likely, thanks for the Gag confirmation too

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users