Watershed/HUC maps

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

I was wondering if anyone knows of any android apps (or ways to tweak an app like google maps or google earth) so I can overlay drainage maps. Here in SW Virginia, at the juncture of many watersheds, and complicated terrain, I spend a lot of time tracing maps to figure out exactly which drainage an area is in. If there was an easier way to do this, especially while on the go, it would make finding collecting spots much more convenient.

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

Here's a low-tech way: Enlarge the river map in Jenkins & Burkhead's book with a photocopier so the scale matches the state highway map. (or find a larger one on the VADEQ or DGIF websites) Photocopy the state highway map on a series of 11 x 17 sheets, tape the river map onto a window, place the highway map copies on top, then trace the rivers (and or watershed boundaries) with a highlighter onto the highway map. I've been doing it that way since way before GIS or apps.

Edited by gerald, 29 September 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#3 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

This might be what you're looking for. I haven't looked into it to verify HUCs are included, but I have a feeling they are.
http://www.epa.gov/w.../WATERSKMZ.html

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

That works pretty well on my computer (windows) with just the streams and hydrologic units check to show. The hydraulogic units seem to be dynamic so if you zoom in too much, they recalculate down to smaller units that do not have names, just numbers. But by staying zoomed out a little you can get very good results.

I am a new to iphone guy and cannot quite seem to get it to work the same way on my phone, so might not work as well in the field (unless it is just me that cant figure out how stevej's obvious interface works).
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users