Surprise Trip OIffhore Rhode Island

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_CharlesA_*

Guest_CharlesA_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

At the end of the summer, I contacted the Norwalk Aquarium to see if they wanted some of the fish we caught on 3rd beach in Middletown over the course of the season. They did and we were able to get some fish to the aquarium. Now the aquarium is our friend.
Jump forward to last month, when the aquarium’s curator Jack Schneider called me to see if I wanted to go offshore with them on a Sargassum seaweed collecting trip, I readily accepted.

Early the following morning, I met Jack and two fellow Norwalk aquarists in Galilee, to board the sport fishing boat “Snappa,” noted as the shark cage boat for divers. I used to go out on many years ago as an observor. “Snappa “ is owned by Captain Charlie Donilon.

5X7-MATTE1.jpg

I was very excited because of the hundreds and hundreds of trips I have gone offshore, this was the first time I have gone on a dedicated marine specimen collecting trip. Plus there was no public that I had to narrate to, only three other marine biologists.

100_2304.JPG

From left: Jack, Joe, Kerry, Captain Charlie

As we got underway, in addition to being a beautiful and sunny day, seas were calm. We steamed south directly for Cox’s Ledge at a fast clip- 16-knots. I’m not use to going that fast. The aquarium brought lots of collecting gear while I brought my extender net and a small dip net.
100_2306.JPG
100_2358.JPG
100_2308.JPG
My net: Ship's Colors for the day

Soon we started seeing pelagic birds; red-necked phalaropes, greater shearwaters, Wilson’s storm-petrels, and an adult Northern gannet.

We found some floating Sargassum seaweed, and collected some. In it was a small gray triggerfish, smaller unidentified fry, and some of the specimens associated with the gulfweed community; gulfweed shrimp, portunis crabs, and gulfweed nudibranchs.
100_2313.JPG
Gray triggerfish

We left the weed patches and although we got about 30-miles offshore, we spent the next few hours with little results. Eventually I recommended that we return to where we had had the Sargassum earlier, and here we found the mother lode, where we spent the next couple of hours gathering and collecting. In addition to more triggerfish, we also collected some orange filefish and a solitary planehead filefish. We also found a Frisbee with some goose barnacles on it.
[]
100_2333.JPG
Orange filefish
100_2336.JPG
Planehead filefish
100_2328.JPG
Goose barnacles on frisbee

Then it was time to go in. One final treat.
100_2351.JPG
100_2354.JPG

In all, about thirty of these common dolphins surrounded us.
Great day..Thanks for looking
[attachment=12869:100_2311.JPG

Attached Images

• 100_2325.JPG
  • 100_2311.JPG

Edited by CharlesA, 09 October 2012 - 07:36 PM.

#2 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

Cool! I hope to get up that way someday and collect some brackish fish.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users