ADA Vuppa questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rootsman_*

Guest_rootsman_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

Has anyone ever used one? If so, what did you think and is it worth $75 to pick up a second-hand unit?

Thanks

#2 Guest_rickwrench_*

Guest_rickwrench_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

The Vuppa is very pretty. It's not really a protein skimmer so much as a protein re-mixer. Skimmed goo doesn't get routed to the filter, just blended back into the tank.
Is it worth it? ADA designs generally look great and work as advertised. If you have protein build-up and don't like any plastic crap in your tank, it may be just the ticket.

The design screams diy to me, though...

Rick

#3 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

Do you have scum on the surface of your aquarium?

I have both saltwater tanks and fresh and I still don't understand the need for a protein skimmer. I don't see a film on the surface of any of my tanks. My aquariums have good water flow and surface disruption, though, so maybe that's why? I dunno.

I don't think you need one of these $150 or even $75 contraptions to keep scum off the surface. A $15 pump/wavemaker/powerhead will do it for you.

Edited by EricaWieser, 22 October 2012 - 10:48 PM.

#4 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

Many people have made their own Vuppa, too, as Rick had hinted at.

#5 Guest_rootsman_*

Guest_rootsman_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I have three tanks and I struggle with oily surface film in all three to one degree or another. Currently I use a plastic pitcher and a great deal of patience to skim the film, but it is at least a weekly job. I've tried agitating the surface with spray bars and powerheads, but this doesn't solve the problem, only pushes it around. All three of my tanks are over-filtered by x2, with enough current to keep the plants swaying. Two of the three have undergravel/powerhead combos as well as Eheim canister filters, the other has twin Eheim 2217s. Bioload doesn't seem to be an issue as my worst problem is in the mostly sparsely stocked tank.

I feed mostly earthworms that I purge for a few days before feeding, and frozen blood worms that I thaw and rinse in a small strainer before feeding. All the food is eaten before it hits the bottom, so no issues there. I change 15-20% of the water twice monthly. My water is crystal clear, but I still end up with the surface film.

I have looked at some of the DIY filters, but liked the simplicity of the ADA design. When I have attempted to build my own by modifying the filter intakes, I always seem to end up pulling in too much air and causing cavitation in my filter. I found the need to constantly fiddle with the intake was more of a pain than manually skimming the water. If anyone has experience with a DIY design that worked well, I'd be interested to hear about it.

My biggest worry is that the Vuppa (according to the ADA site) is designed for rimless tanks, and only one of my three is rimless. The unit becomes more attractive to me I can switch it from tank to tank every few days. I was hoping that someone had some experience with one and could say whether they could still work with a rimmed tank. I'm wondering how much adjustment range there is in the clamp used to hold the unit to the side of the tank.

I guess that the most interesting thing about the issue is that the root problem of the oily film on the surface seems to be such a hit-or-miss issue. In all the different discussion board posts I read while doing some research, a smallish percentage have chronic issues and others have either never had a problem or it was easily and immediately solved, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground. Some people have absolutely no idea what you are referring to, I wish I was one of them! As the discussions progress and people post tank data, it seems most of the threads end in shrugs, with no clear conclusions drawn. In a way, I felt a little better after seeing that ADA had a product specifically designed for the issue. If the might Amano acknowledges (and perhaps--gasp--has himself wrestled with) the problem, then I don't feel too bad about my own struggles.

Edited by rootsman, 23 October 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#6 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

"Bioload doesn't seem to be an issue as my worst problem is in the mostly sparsely stocked tank."
What substrate do you have?

#7 Guest_rootsman_*

Guest_rootsman_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

"Bioload doesn't seem to be an issue as my worst problem is in the mostly sparsely stocked tank."
What substrate do you have?

The worst problems are in the two tanks that have undergravel filters and Eheim cannisters. The other tank is year-old ADA aquasoil and play sand. What connection do you surmise might exist between substrate and a protein film on the water surface?

#8 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

The worst problems are in the two tanks that have undergravel filters and Eheim cannisters. The other tank is year-old ADA aquasoil and play sand. What connection do you surmise might exist between substrate and a protein film on the water surface?

The substrate might be releasing whatever it is that is building up as film on the surface. If it's not coming from the food and it's not coming from the plants or fish it has to be coming from somewhere... so, substrate.
Also, the first day I put in my kitty litter substrate there was film. Every day after that it was fine. So maybe substrates can release things that cause films. Maybe my kitty litter had a small amount of it to impart while yours is the gift that keeps on giving. That's what my thought process was; film comes from somewhere.

By the way if you built this it's $10 worth of PVC and $20 for a pump and you'd have continuous surface skimming and no film.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65yVr7DiDls

Edited by EricaWieser, 23 October 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#9 Guest_rickwrench_*

Guest_rickwrench_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:43 PM

The film is protein build up from waste. If you feed high protein foods, and practice common CO2 conservation practices, you will have a protein scum layer that builds up. Nothing to worry about, easy to address.

I have a few diy skimmers, but also do the paper towel trick every couple days on one smaller tank. That is, tear off a single paper towel, float it on the surface for a couple minutes and remove. It absorbs and takes most of the scum with it. And... a roll of paper towels is cheap.

Rick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users