Cummings dipnet order in SE VA

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:03 PM

I'm going to order a dipnet from Ed Cumings Sci. Catalog. The delivery charge is $10 to $15 for up to 6 items. If anyone local also wants to make an order and come by to pick it up, let me know. Their website is http://www.cumingsnets.com/

#2 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:39 PM

I bought a monorail net from I think aquatic eco systems was the name. The hoops are removable with a push button. The handles are fiberglass. The net bags are replaceable. twenty nine dollars was the cost I believe. My handle is like sixty inches or 62 inches. The best net I have ever seen or used. I used them with dredcon down in Louisiana. The university had these type nets where he teaches. How long are the handles on these nets you are getting? Are they the monorail type where the net is on the inside of the hoop so it does not get torn off of the frame?

#3 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:41 PM

Their website has a pretty good description of the nets with photos. Look on page 2 for the one I am ordering, # 270-12-SG.

#4 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:45 PM

This is the link to the net I bought. But I found out that Jonahs has the same type nets much cheaper.

Aquatic eco systems. http://www.aquaticec...id/3243/cid/930

And I also found out that Jonahs has the replacement bag that will fit mine at a fraction of the cost of aquatic eco systems and with a smaller mesh diameter of 1/16th of an inch.

#5 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:50 PM

I looked at your net. It says it has a wooden handle. The net is only protected by a wrap around vinyl. I think you be impressed if you checked out Jonahs nets with fiberglass handles with the monorail system where the net does not wrap around the outer side of the hoop but runs on the inside. Only the aluminum hoop is esposed to the scrapeing of gravel and such. That handle length seemed short to me also. Mine is sixty inches. You can catch those fast son of a guns.

#6 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:57 PM

I looked at your net. It says it has a wooden handle. The net is only protected by a wrap around vinyl. I think you be impressed if you checked out Jonahs nets with fiberglass handles with the monorail system where the net does not wrap around the outer side of the hoop but runs on the inside. Only the aluminum hoop is esposed to the scrapeing of gravel and such. That handle length seemed short to me also. Mine is sixty inches. You can catch those fast son of a guns.

Hmm I checked out Jonahs to be sure. Seems they only have aluminum handles. At least that is all I saw. The aquatic eco system monorail net is the best I have seen ever. But Jonahs bags will fit inside the monorail much cheaper than aquatics replacements. I have broken too many aluminum handles and with wooden ones the way they attach I have not seen a very good one either. I went ahead and splurged. In the long run I will save money. Seems I was buying a net every year. I checked at aquatic eco systems and the sixty inch fiberglass monorail net is 35 dollars and change. But if you get the long handle like I did 60 inches be sure to have it shipped the longest method possible. The handle is considered over length or something. The shipping was almost as much as the net. But I was in Louisiana and in a hurry because my net had broke and I wanted it fast. But beats me why aquatic eco systems do not offer something inbetween 36 and 60 inches.

Does seem your net attaches faily well to the handle with an aluminum ferrul, and it seems the much better bargin. But when I dip, lots of time debree and what not comes up with the fish. The net I have now I am very happy with. You could lift most anything with that fiberglass handle. And the way they are put together is virtually indestructible. The only catch with mine though is it came with 1/4" mesh. I am soon going to order from Jonah a replacement with 1/16th inch mesh. My bag is pretty torn up. I keep darning it back together with braided nylon fishing line.

#7 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:08 PM

The net I'm looking at has a welded steel "bumper" on the front that keeps it from hitting the bottom (hard to see from the picture, but I think its about 1 cm offset). I think that either Jonah's net or this net would be a good choice (have tried both), and have had a hard time deciding. But I like the wooden handle better in the cold, and the steel bumper seems like it would guard the net well.

#8 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:46 PM

The net I'm looking at has a welded steel "bumper" on the front that keeps it from hitting the bottom (hard to see from the picture, but I think its about 1 cm offset). I think that either Jonah's net or this net would be a good choice (have tried both), and have had a hard time deciding. But I like the wooden handle better in the cold, and the steel bumper seems like it would guard the net well.

The more shallow bag and the more durable netting on the Cumings net makes it a favorite of mine. Jonah's net is also an excellent net though.

#9 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:50 PM

You can't go wrong with the Cummings net. I'd ask to add one for me but my two are doing just fine. I'm not that local, but I'm sure I'll be out that way soon enough.

One idea I stole from Uland is taking golf club / baseball bat grip (not the tape), and wrapping it around the sections of the wood that you would hold. The green paint will still flake off and rub on your hands though for the first few months.

#10 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:16 PM

Less expensive and looks like a sturdy net. I will have to give them a try some day. But I don't think the one I have will break. Wood does sound warm on the hands for the winter. Fiberglass is not so bad either. I guess we will just have to go dipping together to compare. So when is the trip planned for??

#11 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:18 PM

So when is the trip planned for??

June? The NANFA convention...

#12 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:38 PM

June? The NANFA convention...

I was just joking with native planter about when we could go out and test our nets to compare. Nice to know the Convention is in June. No specific weekend yet??
And do you have to be a paying member to attend. I will do it if I have to but we have had within the last three months unexpected expenses that are too big to list. But I guess another twenty won't hurt. Is that how much the dues are??

#13 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:06 PM

June 7-10, 2007

http://forum.nanfa.o...p?showforum=224

Keep up with that forum for all the details.

You don't have to be a member of NANFA to attend the convention. But if you like to read about fishy stuff, American Currents is a great publication that you will get with your $20/yr membership. It is practically a steal. You will also have access to the NANFA directory which allows you to find NANFAns in your area (that aren't on this forum).

You can contact me or one of the Board of Directors / Member Services / Regional Reps if you have any questions.

#14 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:44 PM

June 7-10, 2007

http://forum.nanfa.o...p?showforum=224

Keep up with that forum for all the details.

You don't have to be a member of NANFA to attend the convention. But if you like to read about fishy stuff, American Currents is a great publication that you will get with your $20/yr membership. It is practically a steal. You will also have access to the NANFA directory which allows you to find NANFAns in your area (that aren't on this forum).

You can contact me or one of the Board of Directors / Member Services / Regional Reps if you have any questions.

Cool I will join when my wife is not looking :twisted: I assume you can do the credit card thing right on this site.???

#15 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:55 PM

Cool I will join when my wife is not looking :twisted: I assume you can do the credit card thing right on this site.???

Just about as easy....You can pay via PayPal :smile:

We take no responsibility for any frying pans that might find your head. I'm sure she'll be happy when you receive the first edition of the NANFA publication "American Currents".

#16 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:26 AM

The more shallow bag and the more durable netting on the Cumings net makes it a favorite of mine. Jonah's net is also an excellent net though.

Also, if you're working with someone using an electroshocker, like many of us on here do, you don't want a metal handle.

#17 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:42 AM

Just about as easy....You can pay via PayPal :smile:

We take no responsibility for any frying pans that might find your head. I'm sure she'll be happy when you receive the first edition of the NANFA publication "American Currents".

Funny And your kidding right. I can hardly get her to look at a fish in my tanks. I think I used pay pal once. Then again I thought you could catch your limit every day in Georgia to. :neutral:

#18 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:50 AM

Also, if you're working with someone using an electroshocker, like many of us on here do, you don't want a metal handle.

Fiberglass the only way to go. =D> But on a serious note wet wood is a conducter as well as wet fiberglass. But I suppose they are very less conductive than aluminum. [-o<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users