• Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

http://tnaci.blogspo...ders-three.html

Appropriate timing given the day.

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

This is rather odd. One of these guys doesn't fit with the rest.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Right, Gore was never elected...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

I missed that. I was thinking that they are all democrats except Roosevelt.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

The more I have thought about this, the less I like it. I will be forced to call these fish by their common names. Something is not right about pulling Obama out of the water.

#6 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Say what?

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

Not sure if you are replying to me Bruce? I am not bringing politics into this. I can see why the arrow darter is saggita, and feel comfortable calling it that. I will never feel comfortable calling a fish Teddy Roosevelt, or Jimmy Carter, or Obama. I feel like this nomenclature is a bad dream. I just used Obama as an example, my disdain for this has nothing to do with my politics.

#8 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

I had to double check the calendar, thought it must be April Fool's day. But it's not! You have got to be kidding. This is ridiculous.

#9 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Why not teddyroosevelti? Like etnieri, hubbsi, sutkussi, etc?

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

Well if Teddy had named it, and we added an "I", then it still would not be okay. I am embarrassed for the Mayden camp.

#11 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

Authors of new species can honor (or insult) whoever they want. Although, like Matt said why do the new species names not end in "i" ? Is that legit under zoological nomenclature rules? Fantastic drawings -- I assume they're by Joe Tomelleri although the website doesn't mention the artist.

#12 Guest_bpkeck_*

Guest_bpkeck_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

pdfs are available of the descriptions. Most of the TNACI, Alabama, and SLU folks should be able to provide them. I also have it, just email me. They are the same lineages identified as distinct in Layman's dissertation.

#13 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

E. gore is the "Cumberland Darter". I think Kentucky already has a Cumberland Darter, E. susanae...unless they changed the name.

#14 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

E. gore is the "Cumberland Darter". I think Kentucky already has a Cumberland Darter, E. susanae...unless they changed the name.

This is exactly right. Other scholars have to actually accept this work, or it does not mean too much. I am sure the genetics are correct, but the names, common, and Latin are laughable.

#15 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

I did note that Bernie agreed that susanae is the Cumberland darter so they will have to give gore a new common name.

#16 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

I saw this paper last week, and the names are... uh... ridiculous.

#17 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

Perhaps I have bad eyes but I don't see the difference between these five clearly distinct species.

#18 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

cell smashers see the differences, no necessarily differences that you can see
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#19 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

Moaning and groaning aside I'm still hoping for an answer to a legit ichthyological question. I'm looking around my office at various posters and I see jenkinsi, baileyi, dennoncourti, boschungi, etc. etc. etc.

I see some pretty clear differences between male breeding colors in the illustrations, I've seen the differences personally in a few species in life, and the genetics are pretty solid. These redescriptions have been coming for a while now (e.g., Layman dissertation).

Edited by ashtonmj, 07 November 2012 - 08:02 AM.

#20 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

As Etnier said about politicians, and I paraphrase, "give them the streets, but keep them out of our papers." These new species names are unseemly, and despite anyone's personal politics, in very poor taste.

Matt, as for your nomenclature question I think there is a problem with the name endings. Not sure, but not willing to dive into the Code of Zoological Nomenclature.

Now my sour grapes. In our 2011 paper, we present a detailed phylogeny of all of these species. However, our paper is mentioned only in passing without any detailed mention of the relationships my group and I published last year. This is a consistent trend with Mayden's group...selective citation.

Edited by TomNear, 07 November 2012 - 08:43 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users