bonjour from northern maine!

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jacksmelt_*

Guest_jacksmelt_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

hello folks! im new to keeping fish in aquariums but hopefully with help from members on here i can get better at it. this site actually caught my attention and now im hooked. i just started my 1st tank. only 10 gal. but i already have 2 male northern red belly dace, 2 eastern banded killifish, a small white sucker and 2 bull frog tadpoles. my red bellies are already turning more red everyday! must be the warmer water and steady diet of goldfish flakes. already looking for a deal on a large tank to expand. very excited! i see how you all can get so addicted to this hobby! hope to hook up w/ some of you on a hunt sometime.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Welcome to the forum, welcome to the hobby, and welcome to NANFA! I see that you not only signed up here, but joined NANFA. That's great, I hope you jump in and learn a lot about the native fishes up in Maine.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_jacksmelt_*

Guest_jacksmelt_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

im all about preserving the native fishes up here. I've always been interested in raising fish in tanks but don't believe in taking them out of their native countries. we have too many exotic invasives that have caused havoc as it is. this way i don't have too. I've already learned a ton on this site and I've just begun. thank you for the welcome and im looking forward to talking shop w/ you folks. forgive me tho. I'm not as technical or knowledgeable as a lot of you so bear with me if i ask to clarify something.

#4 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

Welcome. It's good having another New Englander present. Northern Maine has a few interesting things to offer when it comes to fish.

It's one of the few states with secure populations of legal to catch Finescale and Pearl Dace if I remember right. (check the rules to make sure, been a while since I browsed the Maine fishing regulations and protected species list so I could be misremembering).

Maine (and possiblly Vermont) are the only New England states to have Brook Stickleback

Maine is about the ONLY state in the lower 48 to have a surviving, non introduced, non hybridized arctic char population.

#5 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

...and bonjour from Southern Louisiana.

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

Northern Maine?! Because southern Maine is just too...redneck! And then there's the humidity ;-D!

#7 Guest_jacksmelt_*

Guest_jacksmelt_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

Welcome. It's good having another New Englander present. Northern Maine has a few interesting things to offer when it comes to fish.

It's one of the few states with secure populations of legal to catch Finescale and Pearl Dace if I remember right. (check the rules to make sure, been a while since I browsed the Maine fishing regulations and protected species list so I could be misremembering).

Maine (and possiblly Vermont) are the only New England states to have Brook Stickleback

Maine is about the ONLY state in the lower 48 to have a surviving, non introduced, non hybridized arctic char population.

yes we have a lot of pearl dace although fine scale dace is very similar i may have had some of these as well in my bait traps. i have fine char fishing less than 45min. from my house. they're really pretty come spawning time. if i can figure out how to post pics next fall ill post some of these fish. I've caught sticklebacks before but don't know the difference between the species. are brooks found in moving water? there isnt a limit on how much pearl or finescale dace we can take in maine and they're very abundant around here. if someones interested in some come ice in i can get a ton of these. they are a vey active fish and get a pinkish pearl when in the tank. they rarely sit still for long and are a very tough minnow.

#8 Guest_jacksmelt_*

Guest_jacksmelt_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

...and bonjour from Southern Louisiana.

bonjour! nice to see a fellow frenchman on here! i have distant relatives in your area. we are acadian decent up here as you guys are. my mothers a gagnon originally and my fathers a bosse. there are bosses in several areas in s. louisiana. would love to get down your way someday. would love to go out in the bayou and see what i can find!

#9 Guest_jacksmelt_*

Guest_jacksmelt_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

Northern Maine?! Because southern Maine is just too...redneck! And then there's the humidity ;-D!

unless you're from here you wouldn't understand . the north is mostly french canadian or acadian french deccent south is mostly english blood. in our case the rednecks are in the north. mostly loggers and potato farmers. lobstermen and fishermen along the coast. the rest is the supposed civilized maners.

Edited by jacksmelt, 25 December 2012 - 12:27 AM.

#10 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:57 AM

Heading up to Maine and looking for unique fish (maybe bringing back some dace) is one of the dozen or so ideas I am debating doing in the spring/summer. I usually don't do half of them.

Maybe I should plan a new years fishing post some time to list them.

#11 Guest_jacksmelt_*

Guest_jacksmelt_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

if you're up this way let me know. i got a pond just outside fort kent that has a lot of different baitfish. some i don't even know what they are but ones i do are n. red belly dace, banded killifish, pearl dace and i think fatheads although the color is too bright to be this fish. once you get the male red bellies in water close to 70 their red stripe comes out. they're a neat and hardy minnow. like the pearls they never stop and are great to watch them do laps chasing each other!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users