Any one regular haunt the Apalachicola Drainage in Western Florida?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

I am looking for some one familiar with locations to easily catch small bluegill.

#2 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

if you're looking for what I think you're looking for, rumor has them sympatric with normal gills in much of the drainage; but usually deeper and with different breeding habitat/behavior.

#3 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

I am looking for small handpaints with all the wild trappings (parasites). Locations I have hit in past appear to have only handpaints. Other bluegill which were enountered were in stocked ponds / lakes. It may be that I have not visited the rumoured sites. Sites I visited when considering substrate and hydrology seem to be habitats more suitable for longear or rebreast yet handpaints and intergrade red-blackspotted where the dominant Lepomis spp. present. Are your guys working on them?

#4 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Are your guys working on them?

Not that I know of. A while back I sampled some bluegill from several locations in the drainage for genetic work -- bigger adults looked "paint-ish", but they came out with "normal" Apalachicola bluegill. I've seen photos that a friend took of deepwater 'paints, and they sure didn't look like the same fish that we were getting. FWIW, same friend described the habitat differences between the two, which I've subsequently also heard from a different source.

#5 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

I am not understanding the "paint-ish" versus "normal" Apalachicola bluegill. With adults I have, males show the characteristic black patches on flanks while females are much less consistent in reguards to that character. Females with patches tend to be larger than those without. This pattern is evident even among full siblings.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users