Greetings from Richmond, VA!

14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JNeel_*

Guest_JNeel_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

Hello fellow fish enthusiasts. My name is Joe Neel, a professional aquarist from Richmond, VA. My main focus is on Virginia natives, both marine and freshwater species. I am looking forward to having some great discussions with most, if not all of you.

Until then, please feel free to contact me should you have any questions or comments.

Happy Holidays!!!

Joe Neel
jneel@maymont.org

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

What is a professional aquarist? That sounds intriguing.

#3 Guest_JNeel_*

Guest_JNeel_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

Essentially, I am paid to play with aquatic animals in a public aquarium setting.

#4 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

oh cool :)

#5 Guest_michifish_*

Guest_michifish_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Erica,
Check out Maymont.org

#6 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Welcome fellow Virginian! I live in the mountains of Blacksburg but until recently resided in Fredericksburg. Glad to see you here! Let me know if I can be of any assistance if you need help finding or collecting anything.

-Derek

#7 Guest_JNeel_*

Guest_JNeel_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

Hi Derek. Run into any cool species out there in Blacksburg?

#8 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

There is an amazing amount of diversity up here. I have only gotten out a handful of times to explore, but I have been very impressed thus far. Can't wait to shake the cold weather and get in the water some more. At some point I wanna get down to your part of the state and collect some coastal plain species though. There is some beautiful water your way, too.

#9 Guest_JNeel_*

Guest_JNeel_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

Anytime you're planning on heading to central VA, let me know.

#10 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

Awesome I will! I have done a lot of photography and snorkeling this past year, and hopefully in the next few weeks I will be putting together a nice "year in review" series of trip reports. Keep checking the forum! I had lots of adventures volunteering with DGIF I am looking forward to sharing.

#11 Guest_JNeel_*

Guest_JNeel_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Hi Derek,

Do you ever run into any chain pickerels (Essox niger) around your neck of the woods? I'd be interested in having one for our exhibits if you do.

#12 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

There is supposed to be a strange isolated upland population in Craig Creek up near me, but I haven't gotten a chance to check it out yet. They should be common just east of Richmond though.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out http://gis.vcu.edu/instar/ for some useful data. Very nice little application they have there, though I have found a few anomalies probably caused by multiple streams with the same name. If you're interested I can give you a spot of two near Fredericksburg/Bowling Green that are loaded with chains.

#13 Guest_JNeel_*

Guest_JNeel_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

Yeah...Fredericksburg and Bowling Green.

#14 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Welcome to NANFA. If you want to see some new fish, you should consider this years annual convention in KY

http://www.nanfa.org...tion/2013.shtml

#15 Guest_mgottlob_*

Guest_mgottlob_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

I just joined the forum and am getting back into keeping natives. I am currently keeping hogsuckers, madtoms and darters from the North Fork of the Rivanna River. I am interested in getting some top minnows, Fundulus. Can you suggest any sites in your area I should try ? If you have an interest in collecting here have property on the river. Thanks, MG

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users