Mystery Stowaways

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:06 AM

I was at petco and saw a couple odd fish in the feeder minnow tank. I decided to buy these stowaways in case they are natives. The resemble livebearers (maybe killis, but their shape and fin placement looks a bit more livebearer) but are bigger and fatter and less guppy like than the stowaway mosquitofish I seen before. But given how common they are as stowaways in feeder tanks they just may end up being big skeeterfish. Can anyone ID them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

look like skeeters to me, pulled 2 out of my pond thinking they were mollies they are 3 inches long, i guess they get big.

#3 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

I saw them at my local petco in with the fatheads. They're Gambusia. I wanted to bring a few home to but didnt like the look of the feeders they were with so I didnt want to risk it. Can they over winter outside in the north? Im in PA.

Edited by exasperatus2002, 27 December 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#4 Guest_njJohn_*

Guest_njJohn_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Maybe Monterrey Platyfish.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

I may be wrong, but I don't think they are Gambusia.

#6 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

I agree with Skip...
That first one hints at being a female Least Killie... and the lower of the 2nd pic just might be a Golden Ear. All potential fish store finds.
Provide better pics for a positive ID.

#7 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

It's really all just speculation based on the photos. The distortion caused by the baggies combined with odd angles, etc. make these really impossible to say for sure.

That being said, the top fish in the second pic reminds me of a rainwater killie.

#8 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

If from Petco, I would bet they're gambusia. We sometimes get as many of them as we do rosy reds in our shipments. I have never seen anything unusual except gambusia and green sunfish come in with feeder shipments to the store I work in. Our feeders are raised in Arkansas I believe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users