Video of Notropis chromosus fry

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PaulH1968_*

Guest_PaulH1968_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. I have been keeping Notropis chromosus for about 2 years now and have bred them many times.

Erica Weiser asked me to post here on my experiences with Notropis chromosus.

Here is a video of some two week old fry that I have recently bred:

Any questions please ask.

Edited by PaulH1968, 06 January 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

That's so awesome that you're breeding these fish! You'd be surprised at how few people have success.

What foods did you feed the parents? The fry?
What temperatures did you use to trigger the parents to spawn and for how long?
Do you have a picture of the breeding tank?

#3 Guest_PaulH1968_*

Guest_PaulH1968_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

What foods did you feed the parents?

The parents get live BBS twice a day just like all the fish in my fish house. They also get live grindal worm, live white worm, live micro worm, live daphnia in the summer/autumn, sometimes live blood worm when it's available, they occasionally get some dried foods red astax crumb, they sometimes get frozen artemia and bloodworm.

The fry?

Once free swimming they are very small, mine get paramecium for about a week, I add in microworm after a few days free swimming and after about a week I also add in live BBS twice a day, three or four times a day if I am not at work, I stop the paramecium once they are eating BBS. After about 2-3 weeks they start getting live grindal worm and after about 6-8 weeks they just get exactly the same as the adults. The fry get 90%+ water changes twice a day.

What temperatures did you use to trigger the parents to spawn and for how long?

They are kept at about 21C generally. When I am trying to get them to spawn they get plenty food and I do 50-60% eater changes every day with cold water straight from my HMA water filter, this drops the temperature to about 12-15C until the temperature in the fish room brings it back to about 21C. Often if the fish are well conditioned they will go into spawning colours within a day or two, but it can take weeks sometimes. You will not miss it when they are in spawning colours, they are absolutely mind blowing. I ahve a video somewhere which I will upload.

Do you have a picture of the breeding tank?

I dont have a picture of the breeding tank but its not worth showing anyway. Its a 2x1x1 bare tank with a sponge filter with vigorous aeration - that's it for maintenance. When I want to breed them I start the water changes, add a 500ml takeaway container filled to the top with rounded pebbles (about 3/4 to 1inch diameter) and a pwer head with venturi blowing aerated water towards, but not directly at the container, this usually gets them going crazy, they lay their eggs in there and only there.

Edited by PaulH1968, 06 January 2013 - 05:20 PM.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Very cool!

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

The steady, significant water changes are probably key since in nature they live in flowing, clean, clear water with significant groundwater contribution which itself would be about 12-13 deg. C in 'bama. Water temperature when they begin to spawn would be about 15 deg. C, I'd guess from observation.

#6 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

N.chrosomus can breed in captivity even when kept at room temp year round with no appreciable temp or light manipulation. I had them going for 3 generations indoors, with spawnings in pretty much all seasons. Temp was usually 20-23 C in winter and 24-28 C in summer for my fish. Neither the original wild fish nor the captive-bred ones paid much attention to "spawning season". As long as they were getting good food and water changes, they spawned. I used a shallow dish full of coarse gravel or glass marbles, placed near the filter outlet chute.

#7 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

They're on my wishlist but I never see them on aquabid & the only online store that had them are sold out.

#8 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

That is great, Paul. I had a group spawn for me ~2 years ago and got 100+ fry. They did fairly well, but I seemed to slowly lose fry until I made it to about a dozen that survived to adulthood. It was suggested at the time to try and keep light on them 24/7. That seemed to significantly slow their decline. With that being said, what light cycle do you keep them on once they become free-swimming? Is there a source of light available 24 hours a day? I have another group (unrelated to the first) of adults I acquired last summer that are starting to color up as a few of the males are showing some of the metalic blue. I'm not necessarily interested in trying to breed them but may still try daily, large water changes using 20 degree cooler water and see what happens.

Thank you for sharing.
Nick L.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users