for the smallest of fry...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:23 AM

ciliates!

paramecium is a very large ciliate that a lot of people are familiar with. what most people dont think about is the smaller kinds out there that are a tenth of the size. paramecium are actually too big for really small fry, so these smaller sized critters are probably one of the few true options for feeding them.

there is a philodina in the center, which is roughly the same size as a paramecium. i made sure it was in the shot so you all could have a reference. the smaller ciliates are about 10 microns wide and 20 microns long, while the larger ones are about 40 microns wide and 80 microns long. i dont know of many other options for larval fish that need food smaller than paramecium.

they are nowhere to be found in the general water column, all being concentrated in the bottome two centimeters of my mixed live food culture.

http://s1242.photobu...urrent=PR-C.mp4

#2 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

I used to have my own microscope growing up and did well in microbiology in school. I've forgotten alot about it. Now my mother in law got my daughter a microscope/telescope package for xmas. I was showing her some things from a sample from our pond. There was one thing I just cant remember the name for. their like little cups on a spring loaded stalk. When something bumps them they retract quickly. Do you have any reference materials that I can look up? One thing I've always wanted to find but never have, is a water bear.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

Exasp, I think you're referring to Vorticella.

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Rotifers that are newly hatched. Some species also smaller than others. Some of the brackish / marine species are good and small. They need serious nutritional enhancement by feeding with a quality rotifer feed prior to being offered to fish larvae.

#5 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Exasp, I think you're referring to Vorticella.

Yep, thats them. Thank you!

#6 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

im still working on the issue of gut-loading the ciliates. i really need to get a pure culture of nannochloropsis... just havent gotten around to it yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users