Hippocampus zosterae

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_dac343_*

Guest_dac343_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

No I have not, I always used decapsulated baby brine as main food source (less than 36hrs old) they stayed in the water column and were very active ensuring that they would get close enough for the seahorse to snap them up.

If using caulerpa make sure to do a freshwater dip (30min minimal). I really wouldn't suggest using live sand or live rock with them either.

#22 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

If using caulerpa make sure to do a freshwater dip (30min minimal). I really wouldn't suggest using live sand or live rock with them either.

I don't have live rock. The tufa gravel for the rock sheet background came dry from a mine in british columbia. I didn't want to introduce anything that would eat the copepods. There aren't any hydroids in the tank that I can see.

Edited by EricaWieser, 27 January 2013 - 10:18 PM.

#23 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

They arrived! I'm so excited. Posted Image
http://gallery.nanfa...resize.png.html

http://youtu.be/EjWllPvzMjQ

Also, I can say that these are definitely wild caught animals. The card that came with them advertised how the business snorkels to collect fish and wholesale them. *nods*

Edited by EricaWieser, 30 January 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#24 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

A day later, and every one is still alive.

#25 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

i like in the video how it looks like one of the young ones was trying to strangle the other.. typical sibling rivalry

How many did you get and what was in the other bags floating?

#26 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Very cool, thanks for posting the picture and video!

#27 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

How many did you get and what was in the other bags floating?

I ordered 25 adults and got three bags of 10, so 30 total. One of the males also gave birth to 20 young in the bag for a total of 50 seahorses. I am thinking, looking at the tank now, that another male must have released his young. So that would mean approximately 70 sea horses. So far no deaths.

Edited by EricaWieser, 01 February 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#28 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:36 AM

Very cool! Best of luck in your endeavors to breed them and keep us up to date on your "aqua-paddock"!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#29 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

Here is a video of the sea horses settled into the tank.

Several pairs of them seem to have reunited (they're monogamous). The skinny one is the female and the big bellied one is the male.

Some don't seem to have found a mate :( Maybe those loners will begin to pair up with one another.

Edited by EricaWieser, 02 February 2013 - 09:56 PM.

#30 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

Can you see the little baby one?

Edited by EricaWieser, 02 February 2013 - 10:19 PM.

#31 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

I'm not sure if you can see, but there are copepods on the glass. These little white specks are food for the sea horses. I am also adding microworms every day. The seahorses move around more when I add them, but I can't confirm I've seen one eat one yet.

Posted Image
http://gallery.nanfa...pepods.png.html

#32 Guest_BenjaminS_*

Guest_BenjaminS_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Very nice! I used to keep them on and off but I never had too much luck with them, my colonies would crash after about 6 months. I think it was because I was feeding them just the baby brine shrimp. With all the available live foods for salt water tanks these days, maybe I should try again? I look forward to seeing how well yours will do with the copepods. I must say though. When I first got mine, they were eating almost immediately, they snap their food so fast you might be missing it.
Don

#33 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

Three deaths. I'm not surprised; the acclimation does kill a certain percentage of fish. These were wild caught animals shipped here from Florida. 27/30 ain't bad.

#34 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

Three deaths. I'm not surprised; the acclimation does kill a certain percentage of fish. These were wild caught animals shipped here from Florida. 27/30 ain't bad.

Two more deaths. I covered the filter intake with a nylon just in case that had anything to do with it, but I doubt it did.

#35 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Do you know if your vendor treats his animals for parasites and bacterial issues after capture? You didn't mention a protocol of your own, and if the vendor doesn't have an adequate one your losses may be just beginning. Wild seahorses are practically always infected with something when they first come in.

#36 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

Do you know if your vendor treats his animals for parasites and bacterial issues after capture? You didn't mention a protocol of your own, and if the vendor doesn't have an adequate one your losses may be just beginning. Wild seahorses are practically always infected with something when they first come in.

I honestly don't know.

#37 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Two more deaths. I covered the filter intake with a nylon just in case that had anything to do with it, but I doubt it did.

The nylon sock is working. No more new deaths since those ones.

Also, I can definitely confirm that both the adult and baby seahorses are eating copepods. There are lots and lots of copepods and the seahorses are slurping them up. :) It's kinda hard to take a picture of though, because everything involved is so small.

#38 Guest_BenjaminS_*

Guest_BenjaminS_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:45 AM

More pics are always nice :-).
And you said you used a sock for the filter intake? I was just wondering if it would affect the water in any way.

#39 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

And you said you used a sock for the filter intake? I was just wondering if it would affect the water in any way.

It's a nylon sock. Nylon is fairly inert. People use it in aquariums without many problems.

#40 Guest_BenjaminS_*

Guest_BenjaminS_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Have there been any more problems since the three deaths? I am really considering getting these little guys again but will use copepods to feed them. Maybe I will try to dig up my old pics of them and post them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users