Hello from Michigan!

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scifisarah_*

Guest_scifisarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

Just joined the forum and am looking forward to starting my first native fish aquarium next Spring. I am thinking of a 30 gallon x-long (48x12x12) darter riffle tank to start. I haven't collected fish since completing my Biology (Wildlife Biology emphasis) over 8 years ago and am looking forward to getting out in some rivers again. I have no idea where to go to collect near Rockford Michigan, but am trying to do some research early enough so I will be ready to go out towards the end of March/early April. I live down the street from the Rogue River, but it is a designated trout stream, so I think that may prohibit me from collecting there. Lots to learn! :)

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

What are you stirring in the cauldron? Are you a witch or are those Daphnia tubs? ... and welcome

#3 Guest_scifisarah_*

Guest_scifisarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

What are you stirring in the cauldron? Are you a witch or are those Daphnia tubs? ... and welcome

Nothing so sinister - peaches and french toast.

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Welcome, Sarah! I don't know about collecting on it, but if memory serves me correctly the Rogue has a reputation for being a pretty decent trout stream at that. My wife is a Michigan girl, and I've been lucky enough to get up there with her a couple times. Beautiful state with plenty of pretty water! Where ever you dip your net I'm sure I'll be jealous!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#5 Guest_MichiJim_*

Guest_MichiJim_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Hello, Sarah. Welcome to the forum. A great cast of characters hang out here and can provide you with a lot of information.

Keeping natives in Michigan can be done without too much fuss. You will need a fishing license. There are many species of fish that are easily collected and kept in your part of the state. We don't have quite the selection of darters that our friends to the south enjoy, but rainbow darters are very common and greensides, my favorite, can be found if you know where to look. As we get closer to spring I can help you out with locations and such.

Jim

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users