Greetings from Little Rock AR

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_justinoid_*

Guest_justinoid_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

I just wanted to stop by and say hello from central Arkansas. I'm really excited about joining NANFA. My membership dues are in the mail, so hopefully in a few days I won't just be a guest, but a full fledged member! Several of my fisheries students will also being paying their dues and joining the organization as well. I'm in grad school at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, studying aquatic snails and the Stargazing darter(Percina uranidea). I'm also the president of the UALR Aquatic Sciences Association. I'm encouraging all my members to join NANFA.

I was made aware of NANFA by my supervisor with Game and Fish, who I believe helped organize the Little Rock meeting several years back. In fact, I have one of the shirts with the Etheostoma euzonum on the front from that meeting (I didn't attend, as I was living out of state and more concerned with chasing women and drinking beer than scholarly endeavors at the time). Looking forward to being an active member in a great organization!

-Justin

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Welcome to NANFA, Justin. We've always been good at producing interesting t-shirts...

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Welcome Justin, I certianly had a great time at that convention... camped the week before on the Buffalo River... had a great time and saw some great fishes (love yoke darters).
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_justinoid_*

Guest_justinoid_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

I love yoke darters too! I've collected(and released) them in good numbers on the King's River in the north part of the state for a project I was on.

#5 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

That was the Buffalo River Michael where we observed the Arkansas Saddled Darter, Yokes and such. We visited a high trib / spring and saw a breeding frenzy of SRBD. Lots of TN fish over in AR.
Brian Wagner was our host and the shirt was one of my favorite designs. Dave Neely did the illustration and has done this year's as well. I will soon be posting this year's design.

Welcome to NANFA Justin... check out Issac's awesome pics...
http://forum.nanfa.o...rom-the-ozarks/
You are certainly living in a sweet spot.
casper

#6 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Welcome to NANFA, Justin. It's great to see another Arkansan here - seems like I've been the only one for a while. It'd be great if you get some of your students and associates involved in NANFA as well. I'm a few hours north of you near Harrison, and I spend a lot of time in the Buffalo and White. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out.

I read a little bit about your project in an online pdf, and it sounds pretty interesting. I hope you are able to share some of your sampling and study results with the NANFA community. I know folks would be interested. It's great to have you here.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users