NC Stream Fish Sampling Job April-June 2013

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Announcement for a temporary field position with the North Carolina Division of Water Quality’s Biological Assessment Unit. The position is from ~ April 1st to mid-June 2013. A four year degree or a combination of education and experience equivalent to that will be necessary. Overnight travel will be expected. For further information, please contact Eric Fleek (eric.fleek@ncdenr.gov)

Position will provide support for the field collection of stream fish. This will be executed by carrying the backpack shocking unit, netting fish, carrying the sample bucket and/or a combination of all three duties. Other duties include transporting sampling equipment from vehicle to stream and from stream to vehicle. Position may also assist in the field collection of fish tissue and benthic macroinvertebrate samples. Position requires strenuous work during inclement conditions (extremes in heat and cold), hazardous environments (flowing water, slippery substrates, uneven terrain) and requires the ability to carry a 35lb backpack fish shocking unit for several hours a day over the course of multiple days. Position is full-time, temporary (10 week term) will require 40 hours per week with no overtime. Overnight hotel stays do not count as work hours and are therefore not eligible for paid compensation. However, hotel and food per diem expenses incurred for overnight trips will be compensated by the State.

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

Another temp job in NC, Apr-July studying the rare sicklefin redhorse in southwestern NC.

Hey guys,

I am scrambling to find someone to help on my research project entitled 'early life history of sicklefin redhorse'. Due to unforeseen circumstances, the person that I was in the process of hiring as a field technician was forced to back out. I will be starting my fieldwork on April 1, and will require that the technician be willing to start by April 15, at the latest. If you are interested in the position, please contact me as soon as possible. I expect this will be a very enjoyable, educational, and beneficial experience! Job advertisement below.

Thanks,

Tomas Ivasauskas
tjivasau@ncsu.edu
(540) 250-0301

----------------------------

We are seeking a motivated and hard-working individual to serve as a fisheries field technician for a field investigation of the early life-history of sicklefin redhorse, an endangered fish species endemic to the Southern Appalachian Mountains. Employment dates will be approximately April 15 – July 31, 2013. This study is being coordinated by NCSU and the NC Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit. Pay is $10 per hour, 40 hours per week.

This job will require that candidate reside in Murphy, NC during field season (housing will be provided). Duties will primarily include assisting with field sampling using drift nets, light traps, seines, and electrofishing, as well as measuring various habitat variables. Field work will involve wading, canoeing, and motor boating. Laboratory duties will include larval fish identification, preservation, and microscopy. Applicant must have completed coursework or attained a degree in fisheries science or a related field of study. Must be in good physical health, able to swim, and able to carry over 75 lb. Must be comfortable working in remote settings under adverse conditions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users