American Currents articles

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

I was sitting around thinking of some trips I'd like to make once my knee surgery fully heals and trying to think of an article I could write for AC and the two lines of thought kinda turned into one challange. How about each state's members get together and start with one article about their state's drainages. Maps, names, history, general descripition, species and such. Then future articles on specific drainages or subdrainages with some actual sampling reports. Seems like a great way to get members together as well as learn and educate others. So here's a challenge to all you regional reps and state members. Get together either by an actual meeting or online and plan it out. Lots of ways it could be done anyone can take the lead.

NY members contact me if interested this would give us a great excuse to get out in the creeks and we have quite an interesting array of waterways. I'd love to get a group meeting to discuss and make a plan and while were at it have some good fellowship. The best part everyone can have a part even if you're not the jump in the water type as research into the history and background info should probably done without waders. Looking forward to learn about our own and other's drainages.

What better articles could there be for "American Currents"!

Edited by keepnatives, 17 February 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#2 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

I'd love to get other members together in my region, I have no idea how.

As for the story of my local drainage, you do realize the story of the Connecticut River drainage is a disaster story.

Edited by FirstChAoS, 17 February 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

As for the story of my local drainage, you do realize the story of the Connecticut River drainage is a disaster story.

Josh, I bet if you contact a couple of the right people, that you will be steered in the right direction to get a regional outing together.

#4 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

All the more important for you to do. With updated collection info and pics of your system. It could also be presented to your states fish commission,d.e.p & legislator to try to help it get cleaned up.

Sounds like a fun project for us all.

Edited by exasperatus2002, 18 February 2013 - 09:39 AM.

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

Would there be in articles about much smaller drainages? I don't know if I'm up to the whole Santee River drainage, but there is a local stream that I think might be fun to do a report on.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

I think there would be a lot of interest in summaries of smaller drainages. Get out there and learn you local waterway, and... Write it up!

I know that the editors would appreciate the input.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

I'll see what I can come up with. Don't try holding me to any deadlines, though! I'm doin' well getting to work on time!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#8 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Yes, we are always in need of material.
Fritz Co-editor of AC

#9 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

Would there be in articles about much smaller drainages? I don't know if I'm up to the whole Santee River drainage, but there is a local stream that I think might be fun to do a report on.

Yes indeed, articles on individual drainages would be most interesting I believe. Articles on statewide drainages would be nice as an intro but for many states would be pretty burdensome and large if too detailed. Just looking at my state, NY, just giving a brief overview of each drainage would be more then I could handle with any hope of actually finishing something in a reasonable amount of time. But simply pointing out the drainages with some general remarks and a few highlights would be a good way to introduce your state and provide a good kick off for future more detailed individual or subdrainage articles.

I'm hoping we can stir up some interest among New York members to band together for this as a state NANFA project. We could meet in a central location plan it out and schedule some sampling and photo documentation trips to different drainages. Seems like it would be educational and a great excuse to get out in the water. Hey, it might even be helpful to the DEC should there be specific sites they could use some information to fill in any gaps.

#10 Guest_pylodictis_*

Guest_pylodictis_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

I love the idea, and I'd be glad to help in any initiative in VA if other members are interested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users