70 Gallon Stream tank

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_davidd_*

Guest_davidd_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

Hey there,
I gave my tank a more streamy ( is there a fitting adjective in english? ) setting. So it looks more suitable for the inhabitants, although I don't think they really care about it, as long as they are well fed ;)
It is populated by Etheostoma caerulaeum, Cyprinella lutrensis and Notropis chrosmus,
Regards David!

Attached Files

#2 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

Very cool! I wish I had the time/patience and skill to create a tank that looked half as good as that. That's awesome.

#3 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

That's soooo pretty!

You should totally enter it into the Aquatic Gardeners' Association's aquascaping contest. It would be great to have more native fish entered there. Everyone's always "neon tetra, rummy nose tetra, neon tetra" with no representation of our native fish.

Here is a link to the most recent contest. You can look at the tanks by mousing over 'View Entries' and picking a size. http://showcase.aqua...eners.org/2012/ Sometime this year there will be a new link to enter into the 2013 aquascaping contest.

Edited by EricaWieser, 18 February 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#4 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hey there,
I gave my tank a more streamy ( is there a fitting adjective in english? ) setting. So it looks more suitable for the inhabitants, although I don't think they really care about it, as long as they are well fed ;)
It is populated by Etheostoma caerulaeum, Cyprinella lutrensis and Notropis chrosmus,
Regards David!

Beautiful tank! I believe "riparian" is the adjective you're looking for.

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

That is one gorgeous set up! Exceptionally well done. Time to go look at my tank and feel bad for my fishes, they're slumming in comparison!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

Very impressive!

#7 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

I dont think your Notropis chrosmus are very happy. Look in the 2nd pic. Its yawning from boredom. I think you need to ship them to me to care on your behalf......

Love the tank. Great job!

Edited by exasperatus2002, 19 February 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#8 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Very cool setup, thanks for sharing!

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

I dont think your Notropis chrosmus are very happy. Look in the 2nd pic. Its yawning from boredom. I think you need to ship them to me to care on your behalf...

He's not yawning he's singing... Singing the praises of his interior decorator! Nice tank!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#10 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

Absolutely beautiful. I would bet they are very happy with that setup!

#11 Guest_GoFisch_*

Guest_GoFisch_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Amazing tank! Looks very close to those pretty little creeks in the Southeast US. What kind of plants did you use? Also, what sort of filtration system?

#12 Guest_davidd_*

Guest_davidd_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for the comments and compliments.

The tank is planted with Taxiphyllum barbieri, Microsorum pteropus and Anubias nana
and for filtration I use an Eheim 2217. I collected most of the Rocks,Gravel and wood from a river nearby.

Edited by davidd, 23 February 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#13 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:52 AM

You should totally enter it into the Aquatic Gardeners' Association's aquascaping contest.

Indeed, davidd, if you're not entering aquascaping contests, you should be. Superb tank. Thanks for sharing.

It would be great to have more native fish entered there.

Well, every fish is a native somewhere, but American fish in the Rhineland are exotics, and probably pretty darn hard to find.

#14 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

Indeed, davidd, if you're not entering aquascaping contests, you should be. Superb tank. Thanks for sharing.

Well, every fish is a native somewhere, but American fish in the Rhineland are exotics, and probably pretty darn hard to find.

You'd be surprised! Fish are rarely appreciated where they live, and stuff we use as bait are considered prized exotics in other places. As an example, there have been Long Ear Sunfish coming out of Europe and into the American market for years. I used to shudder when we got them in, because Long ears are considered endangered in PA. Never had a problem though.

#15 Guest_davidd_*

Guest_davidd_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

The tank houses since saturday also two greenside darters.
I want to give comments to your replys but at the moment I'm short of time, but I'll do it later.
For now the pictures.
Regards David!

Attached Files

#16 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

Wow! Those tank and fish photos are great! Thanks for sharing!

Brian

#17 Guest_GoFisch_*

Guest_GoFisch_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

You'd be surprised! Fish are rarely appreciated where they live, and stuff we use as bait are considered prized exotics in other places. As an example, there have been Long Ear Sunfish coming out of Europe and into the American market for years. I used to shudder when we got them in, because Long ears are considered endangered in PA. Never had a problem though.

I read somewhere that red shiners were sometimes sold in pet stores and marketed as 'African Flame Barbs' to make them sound more exotic. I guess it's more appealing to many to imagine their fish coming from some far off place instead of a creek in the midwest. :biggrin:

#18 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:35 AM

Another name for Red Shiners in the aquarium industry is "Rainbow Dace." I'm told at a LFS that the fish are bred in Europe and they only send the male fish here. Probably for color and maybe so we can't spawn our own??? IDK.

Brian

#19 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

My local LFS when I lived in Fredericksburg got a shipment of them once. I don't remember if they were called African Fire Barbs or Rainbow Dace (I am leaning toward the latter) but I immediately bought them. I didn't know what species they were at the time but knew they were a US native. I bought the entire group and as I remember they were all males.

#20 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

That is an amazing tank!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users