Summer Aquatic Diversity Worker, Georgia

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Hi everyone,
This is a great chance for anyone with interest in non-game conservation. This summer internship program has been going strong since 2008 when a friend and I were the first to take on these positions. It was a summer I'll never forget. I got a lot of experience and gained tons of knowledge of the fishes and mussels in the southeast. I have known, and collaborated with Brett and Jason for many years now, and I highly recommend anyone interested in this kind of stuff to apply. It it will be the time of you life if you are a college student looking for summer work, increasing experience, etc. I suggest getting a hold of these guys if you are interested in the specifics. It's been several years since I was had this position, but if you have other questions about my experience, feel free to PM me.

Job Description:
The Nongame Conservation Section of the Georgia Dept. of Natural Resources is offering 1-2 full time, hourly positions for summer 2013. These positions will focus primarily on sampling Georgia streams and rivers for fishes and freshwater mussels and will provide valuable training in sampling methods, data collection, and taxonomy. Sampling may include snorkeling, electrofishing, and seining. Hourly workers must be willing to work long days (> 10 hours) under physically challenging conditions (e.g., hauling heavy equipment on hot days) and will frequently be required to travel over-night. They must also be willing to work on other duties as assigned (e.g., data entry, equipment maintenance, laboratory work). Applicants must have a valid class C driver’s license. State uniforms, lodging (or camping equipment) while on travel status, travel expense reimbursement, and sampling gear are all provided. Travel to study sites will be by state vehicle and there are significant opportunities to carpool to our Social Circle office from the Athens area.

Qualifications:
Individuals with an interest in freshwater fishes, freshwater mussels, stream ecology, or aquatic conservation are encouraged to apply. Applicants must have completed at least one year of undergraduate education in the natural sciences (e.g, Biology, Ecology, Fisheries and Wildlife, Environmental Sciences, etc.).

Salary:
$10.49 per hour.

How to Apply:
Email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for 2 references to brett.albanese@dnr.state.ga.us. Please include all application materials in a single file named: “LastName_FirstName_AD_2013”. Please include a list of relevant courses and your cumulative G.P.A. with your resume. Questions Email: brett.albanese@dnr.state.ga.us or jason.wisniewski@dnr.state.ga.us or 706-557-3223.

Deadline:

03/15/2013 (All day)

Edited by UncleWillie, 19 February 2013 - 11:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users