Ho from New England.

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_willow_*

Guest_willow_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Hi,
I have had fish for quite awhile, started by wanting some suny, green plants for those long New England winters, and eventually wound up with a lot of plants and a community tank.
I currently have;
75G community (tetras, cories, SAE, BNs ( L144 male, Alibo Female, Couple of LFs common), Beta, barbs, Endlers and I think theres a clown loach in there! Basicly a collection of things no one wanted and was given),
55G Endlers (black bar), breeding group of LF Calico BN and some Red Cherry shrimp
30G Heterandria formosa, BN fry and shrimp.
30G cast offs of gold color Heterandria formosa, more BN fry and Mixxed shrimp (suppose to be Caridina babaulti but all are clear or brownish)
10G unsucessfull live food tank......
And empty 125G

I would love to have a tank of the pygmy sunfish, but I can't seem to get the live food thing down. Is the an Idiots guide to this some where???

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Try this. http://forum.nanfa.o...-food-cultures/

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

You do not need live food for pygmy sunfish... I have kept them for years on frozen.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

You do not need live food for pygmy sunfish... I have kept them for years on frozen.

I agree.

My Elassoma gilberti ate those $5 packages of 30 cubes of frozen bloodworms that Petsmart sells. I would hold the cube with a pair of ten inch planting tweezers (don't touch bloodworms if you don't have to; everyone develops an allergy to them eventually) under the surface of the water. I would gently wave the cube around to thaw it and snip bloodworms in half as they thawed and unstuck from the main cube. Elassoma gilberti are a bit too small to eat full sized bloodworms, and are able to swallow them quicker if you cut them in half for them like that.

The Elassoma never did eat the frozen cubes of tubifex worms, though. I guess that's because they're grown in sewage and smell bad? I don't know. I bet Elassoma would eat frozen blackworms (as my fish loved eating blackworms live), but for some reason my local store is constantly sold out of them frozen, so I never got to try.

Also, I saw your request for information on live foods and realized the grindal worm topic was a bit lengthy to read. I updated it to have a succinct summary of my method for rearing grindal worms in post #55, which is on page 3.
http://forum.nanfa.o...ks/page__st__40

Edited by EricaWieser, 25 February 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

Adult Elassoma were able to each frozen brine... and pre-adults would grab one and shake their heads until it came apart...

They also make frozen daphnia in those little cubes...

I just melt one of those cubes (either variety) in a couple of ounces of water and dump the whole thing in the tank...

they learn quick and take up little territory positions to wait for the food to fall...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users