Collecting in SC March 3, 2007 edition

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:08 PM

Trey, Owen and I headed out towards the SC coast today. Stopped at our first spot just outside of Columbia and found the water was way up due to the rains we had Thursday evening. Still managed to get the following:

Yellowfin Shiner
Lowland Shiner
Dusky Shiner
Coastal Shiner
Tessellated Darter
Blackbanded Darter
Savannah Darter
Bluehead Chub

We spent very little time here due to the water level and headed on coastward. An hour later, we arrived at a spot and almost immediently started catching bluefin killies and golden topminnows. We even caught a few melanistic goldens. Here's the list:

Bluefin killifish
Golden Topminnow
Least killifish
Bluespotted Sunfish
Spotted Sunfish
Eastern Mosquitofish
Chain Pickerel

We got the bluefin killies that we were after so left after a while even though we were still catching them. Scoped out a few spots but didn't really sample them due to either people fishing or lack of vegetation. Finally hit our last spot. Started catching more golden topminnows but these seemed much better colored. Right across the cove from us, about 50 feet away were two gators sunning themselves. The larger of the two was about 11'-12' in length and the smaller looked to be 9' or 10' long. Had me a bit nervous but as long as they stayed on the bank, we were ok. Working around the area we got the following:

Golden Topminnow
Lined Topminnow
Least Killifish
Bluespotted Sunfish
Blackbanded Sunfish
Warmouth
Sawcheek Darter
Eastern Mosquitofish
Chain Pickerel

Overall, it was a great day...weather was about as nice as you could ask for.

#2 Guest_TreyBell_*

Guest_TreyBell_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:40 PM

What a day! We slammed the bluefins - would have had twice the amount with an additional 30 minutes but picking bluefins out of the nets became somewhat of a nuisance. Needless to say, this nuisance was welcomed. Also, how nice are those melanistic goldens...I hope the guy I took home will end up proving out for me. Great day, though it would have been better had we not had so much rain over the last week. The upcoming trips cannot get here soon enough!

Oh yeah, the turtle sends his thanks, and we caught golden topminnows and lined topminnows at the same spot - somewhat of a rarity so I hear

Trey

#3 Guest_c03999_*

Guest_c03999_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:59 AM

I'd say it was as perfect as you could ask for, minus the leaks in my waders.

#4 Guest_TreyBell_*

Guest_TreyBell_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2007 - 01:09 PM

I'd say it was as perfect as you could ask for, minus the leaks in my waders.

And my man finally got him some darters! Now that you have the technique down, there shall be no more complaining--also, Owen racked up on some fishing gear, I have to say that Rapala was the most colorful thing any of us caught all day. Next on the agenda, we need a name...start thinking

Trey

#5 Guest_augustaranger_*

Guest_augustaranger_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:14 AM

Do you guys ever venture out to the Augusta GA area?

#6 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:45 PM

Do you guys ever venture out to the Augusta GA area?

We do get into the North Augusta area at times. Don't usually venture into GA unless it's with someone who has a scientific permit.

#7 Guest_nativeone_*

Guest_nativeone_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:32 PM

Trey, Owen and I headed out towards the SC coast today. Stopped at our first spot just outside of Columbia and found the water was way up due to the rains we had Thursday evening. Still managed to get the following:

Yellowfin Shiner
Lowland Shiner
Dusky Shiner
Coastal Shiner
Tessellated Darter
Blackbanded Darter
Savannah Darter
Bluehead Chub

We spent very little time here due to the water level and headed on coastward. An hour later, we arrived at a spot and almost immediently started catching bluefin killies and golden topminnows. We even caught a few melanistic goldens. Here's the list:

Bluefin killifish
Golden Topminnow
Least killifish
Bluespotted Sunfish
Spotted Sunfish
Eastern Mosquitofish
Chain Pickerel

We got the bluefin killies that we were after so left after a while even though we were still catching them. Scoped out a few spots but didn't really sample them due to either people fishing or lack of vegetation. Finally hit our last spot. Started catching more golden topminnows but these seemed much better colored. Right across the cove from us, about 50 feet away were two gators sunning themselves. The larger of the two was about 11'-12' in length and the smaller looked to be 9' or 10' long. Had me a bit nervous but as long as they stayed on the bank, we were ok. Working around the area we got the following:

Golden Topminnow
Lined Topminnow
Least Killifish
Bluespotted Sunfish
Blackbanded Sunfish
Warmouth
Sawcheek Darter
Eastern Mosquitofish
Chain Pickerel

Overall, it was a great day...weather was about as nice as you could ask for.

willing to part with any of the pickerel?

#8 Guest_TreyBell_*

Guest_TreyBell_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:19 AM

We were unable to keep any pickerel. In our state, the pickerel is considered a "game fish" therefore specimens caught in nets have to be released.

Trey

#9 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:51 AM

Like Trey said, pickerel, both chain and redfin, are considered gamefish here in SC. Any species listed as a gamefish is required to be immediently released so that's what we did. Even many of the nongame species were released. Just kept enough to stock some tanks with breeders.

#10 Guest_nativeone_*

Guest_nativeone_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:34 PM

Like Trey said, pickerel, both chain and redfin, are considered gamefish here in SC. Any species listed as a gamefish is required to be immediently released so that's what we did. Even many of the nongame species were released. Just kept enough to stock some tanks with breeders.

thats cool, I have seen them in our native fish books for Tennessee however I have never seen one here.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users