African coelacanth article

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jloos1988_*

Guest_Jloos1988_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

What's up fellow fish enthusiasts,

Check out my new article on African coelacanths Latimeria chalumnae: http://www.eoearth.o...nth?topic=49540 in www.eoearth.org.

Cheers,

Edited by Jloos1988, 11 March 2013 - 09:59 PM.

#2 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Good article. Has anyone tried satelite tagging them to track them like blue fin tuna or sharks?

#3 Guest_Jloos1988_*

Guest_Jloos1988_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

Good article. Has anyone tried satelite tagging them to track them like blue fin tuna or sharks?

Hey exasperatus,

I did not come across any information on the tagging of coelacanths throughout my research on them.The only assessment of population size or migratory patterns has been done through observations in submersibles or deep water diving expeditions. I assume that it would be really difficult to tag a fish that lives a such depths.

cheers,

Jeff

#4 Guest_ZiegenSauger_*

Guest_ZiegenSauger_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Awesome article

#5 Guest_sschluet_*

Guest_sschluet_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:01 AM

Jeff-
Nice article. Seems in late 90s there was an article in Conservation Biology that involved acoustic tagging. I recall they have several dozen tagged and tracked them with a hydrophone on a submersible. Neat study that found that certain caves were highly utilized by coelacanths during the day. They discovered a handful of the tagged fish were piled into one small cave.
-Scott

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users