feeder tank stowaways

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

I got some feeder guppies and a couple unusual stowaways. I put them in an unused tank to grow them out so they are inedible (to use guppies as feeder breeders and the rest as tank fish) can anyone ID these.

This one is odd, it has a thick lateral band. It was tough to photograph as it tended to be skiddish and shy way to the back of the tank.

Posted Image

This one had a very different body shape from the guppy next to it.

Posted Image

#2 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

I think your first one may be a bluefin killifish, I believe they are common feeder tank contaminants. The second reminds me of a female swordtail or platy, but I can't really tell from the picture.

#3 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:35 AM

The first one could be a Bluefin, but my money would be on it being a very tiny Bass, most likely a Largemouth. I got one a few years bach around the same size and at first glance in the feeder tank I thought it was a Bluefin as well. Easiest tell is the dorsal fin. A Bluefin has a single small rounded dorsal fin, while the Bass has a compound one with stiff spines in front portion and a long softer section to the rear. In any case the dorsal covers a good % of the bass' back. I can't make out the dorsal in your pic. The others are most likely Gambusia. although they could be Guppies. That id is based more on the odds. Clearer pics would be nice.

Edited by Subrosa, 24 March 2013 - 05:40 AM.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:16 AM

Come on Josh. You know our best ID guys need better pics than that!

#5 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

here is a better look at the striped guys

Posted Image

#6 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

Definitely bluefins.

#7 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:58 AM

I went back to one stop to get more bluefin killis from their feeder tank (and got some feeders mixed in as it was nearly unavoidable). I also found two more oddballs I have no clue what they are.

I tried snapping pictures in a phototank but sadly they came out horriblly.

Here are the best of them. You probably cannot ID from them but it is worth a shot.

First the larger fatbodied fish here

Posted Image

second is an odd one as the fish is orange. Could it be other tropicals can be stowaways with feeders and not just natives? I cannot think of any bright orange native.

Posted Image

#8 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

Xiphophorus hybrids - some mix of swordtails & variatus

#9 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

So if natives end up in feeders because the feeders are raised in natural ponds, and tropicals can also end up in feeders. Does this mean the tropicals have become invasive or that they just raise several species in the ponds?

#10 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

The tropicals are invasive in FL. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the list of introduced species that are established in FL is as long or longer than the list of native species if only FW is considered. Many Cichlids, Livebearers and common Plecos are well established, along with other species. On the commercial farms one species per pond is the rule. It greatly simplifies grading and packing.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users