My 170 gallon room"pont"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sven_*

Guest_Sven_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

Here are some pictures of my tank.

- Actually only Heterandia formosa and dwarf orange crayfish (Cambarellus patzcuarensis orange) but some Elosoma evergladi are on their way to me. And maybe Lucania goodei.

- It´s a 170 gallon+ tank with a inner filter (17 gallon). It´s ~ 5,2´x1,96´x 1,96´ (all rounded to US mesures).
Temp 22 -24 oC/71,6-75,2 oF

- The swimming plants are Pistia stratiotes and Ceratopteris cornuta witch fine roots give a nice habitat for the small bread! The other´s are a mix of temperat and subtropical plants.

- I put in some old leafes as this is good for "small live" and the crayfish love it.

Here are some pics from the big one and two breading tanks I just started (for Elasoma).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My target is to get a self upholding population in the tank and get some extra breads in the small ones. This worked well before in my smaller one (now deleted)

Posted Image

Sven

#2 Guest_Sven_*

Guest_Sven_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

By taking me some minutes to watch the flooting roots I found around 10 x 3 mm, and some "bigger" ones. Around there are 50+ Heterandia formosa in actually in it.

Edited by Sven, 26 March 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Very nice!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

That's amazing! What an awesome tank!

#5 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

It would be great if you entered some of your tanks into the Aquatic Gardeners' Association's aquascaping contest. There isn't any representation for tanks with North American fish in the contest, and none of my tanks are pretty enough to enter. Yours are absolutely gorgeous, and I think they would make a lot more people aware of North American fish species if you entered. Here is the link: http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/

#6 Guest_Sven_*

Guest_Sven_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

It would be great if you entered some of your tanks into the Aquatic Gardeners' Association's aquascaping contest. There isn't any representation for tanks with North American fish in the contest, and none of my tanks are pretty enough to enter. Yours are absolutely gorgeous, and I think they would make a lot more people aware of North American fish species if you entered. Here is the link: http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/

Been on that site, but ther´s no contest in the moment, aint it?
If there´s the next one I try it.

Sven

#7 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

Been on that site, but ther´s no contest in the moment, aint it?
If there´s the next one I try it.

Sven

That is true, the contest is held annually and there is not one at the moment. I am not sure the exact time the next contest is, but it will be sometime this year.

#8 Guest_Sven_*

Guest_Sven_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:44 AM

Yesterday I got me 6 Lucania goodei (2/4) and maybe get some more. (Pretty expensive ones here ;) )
They do well and swimm and feed.
I found it intresting that at the beginning they seem to look for the big Heterandia females as their ownkind.

IF you use plants prefere Ceratopteris cornuta before Pistia stratiotes, as Pistia spreads very quick!! I´ve to pick out nearly 20 plants a week. Also they have great roots and the small Heterandia love them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sven

#9 Guest_Sven_*

Guest_Sven_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

Forgot the technical stuff 8-[ .....

- Light: 4 x 10000 K actinic 60" tubes, no direct sunlight, although there are 2 big windows
- Temperature: No heater, standing in our cellar, max water summer temperature ~ 24-26oC (we have summers with 30-45oC outside in the shadow)/~ 75,2-78,8oF (Summer 86-104oF), winter temperature <= 20oC/68oF
- Filter: 58,8 Liter/15,5 gallon inside foam chamber filter (quite slow filter stream) Even in the filter live some Heterandia :blink:

Sven

#10 Guest_Sven_*

Guest_Sven_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

By the way ... my sons (13) aquarium tank. He makes his interior by himself since 3-4 years.

Posted Image

Sven

#11 Guest_ryansholl_*

Guest_ryansholl_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

That is a great looking tank for someone of any age!

#12 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Okay Sven, enough is enough, it was bad enough when your tanks made my best efforts look like a true novice. But now a 13 year old humbles me even more. But seriously I love that tank, nice job! Kids, probably spends all day in the fish room how can I compete with that. I know I'll just copy his. :biggrin:

#13 Guest_Sven_*

Guest_Sven_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

So hello again!
Everything is fine in the tank, maybe that´s why I didn´t post a time ;)

My Lucania goodei do fine, the 2 males have made their claims, one in the left, the other in the right surface waterplant areas. they try to bring the females in the plants to lay their eggs. Can´t see any small ones now.

The waterplants change a bit as the Ceratophyllum submersum (not shure if it really is this), left the right ground and was swimming on the surface, but ... a lot of Limna minor allways hang in it and I was not able to remove this fast growing plants from my tank.
Actually that´s the main "problem": a very good plant grow, especially in the swimming plants. I had to remove some (put them in our pont). No the surface is a bit cleaner = easyer to feed. The back is still settled with lot´s of swimming plants.
That leeds to more light in the front wich let the other plants grow better, filled up with some Cryptocoryne (darkgreen/red form)

Is there anything I can to for the Lucania goodei to bread better? My food is small(est) flakes all day, some Bosmide (frozen) every 2. day, changing with living Cyclops.
What´s the best breeding temperature for them?

Stretched the E. evergladi "input" a bit as I maybe can get E. okefenokee.

Sven

PS: See a feeding video on , sorry for the poor quality 8exept the close ups at the end) just wanted to show how many are in the tank.

Attached Files

Edited by Sven, 29 May 2013 - 10:07 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users