darters and shiners?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sven_*

Guest_Sven_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:28 AM

Hi!
As I can get them both here in Germany I´d like to start a sreaming tank with Etheostoma spectabile- Orangthroat Darter and Notropis chrosomus - Regenbogen Shiner.
I guess it would fit. Am I right?

Sven

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:41 AM

Yes, Orangethroat Darters and Rainbow Shiners will be OK together. I have kept different darters with Nortropis lutipinnis (Yellowfin Shiners) which are related to the N. chrosomus (which I have also had) and behave similarly. The only "problem" that you will have is that the shiners like to eat... everything... all the time. So you have to make sure to get some food to the darters. There are a couple of tricks that people have used, and they all work more or less:

Feeding tube - gets the food to the bottom and the darters learn very quickly... but so do the shiners.

Different foods - feed a light floating food like a cheap flake to the shiners, then while they are dashing about eating, dump in a heavier sinking food like frozen mysis (thawed in a little water)

A lot of darters will also learn that flake is food or a soft pellet and eat prepared foods, but you still have to trick the shiners in some way (usually again with lots of cheap flake food).
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_Sven_*

Guest_Sven_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for the "ok" and the tipps!

Is there any conflict between the different species of darters? I might also get soem rainbow darters.
I planned a 1 - 1.5 meter long but smaller and not so high tank

just from the form like this:

Posted Image

interior would be more like a stony creekground with sandparts.

Sven

#4 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

spectabile & caeruleum will be fine together

Edited by jblaylock, 29 March 2013 - 12:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users