Goldfish Pond - Goldfish with natives

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Slasher_*

Guest_Slasher_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:32 AM

So my aunt is moving, and she's looking to add some more fish to her indoor pond. It's about 125 gallons. It will contain goldfish no matter what. She's looking for something for algae and a catfish for the bottom. It's going to be on an enclosed front porch, but it still gets a little cold. So the questions...

What's a good catfish that won't get too big and won't harass the goldfish? I was thinking stonecats, or a bullhead.

Also, what would be a good native algae eater?

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:38 AM

Depending on how cold is cold, Florida flagfish eat hair algae like no other. Mine go down to 60F, but maybe they can go a little cooler.

A stonecat is riffle madtom and probably wouldn't do that good in a pond. You probably would never see it. A bullhead would take up a good portion of a 125G pond full grown and would eat the goldfish.

Might be better to just stick to the goldfish.

#3 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:34 PM

Goldfish can easily outgrow a 125 gallon pond.

Adding a bullhead, such as a yellow bullhead, will thin out the goldfish before they get too big.

#4 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:48 PM

I keep green sunfish, bluegill, chubsucker, a channel cat and goldfish all in an 800 gallon pond.

Chad

#5 Guest_TurtleLover_*

Guest_TurtleLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:25 AM

How many goldfish currently inhabit the pond? I would say at full size, you probably shouldn't have more than 3, max in that pond.

#6 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:57 PM

How many goldfish currently inhabit the pond? I would say at full size, you probably shouldn't have more than 3, max in that pond.

What kind of goldfish are they? If they are commons or comets they will grow very large and depending on how many you have you may already be overstocked. If they are the fancy types then I would worry about most of our native catfish trying to eat them.

#7 Guest_Slasher_*

Guest_Slasher_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:41 PM

It only has 2 fish in it right now, one is about 3 inches and the other is around 7. They once had like 8 goldfish, and a channel cat in there before, so this is a pretty good step. I have no idea about the measurements right now, but I'll check them soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users