New species of darter from the Caney Fork, TN!

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bpkeck_*

Guest_bpkeck_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

Nothonotus starnesi, Caney Fork Darter, is described in the attached article. We also note a few other things about the Caney Fork in middle TN, like the first record of Lepomis auritus, Redbreast Sunfish, from the system. Now we have species named after both authors of The Fishes of Tennessee and both occur in the upper Caney Fork!

Cheers,

Ben

Attached Files

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

Looks good, when I saw your Table 10 counting opercular scales I knew you were serious....

#3 Guest_bpkeck_*

Guest_bpkeck_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Actually, I think it's pretty impressive that we found a good, reliable separation on those few meristics. When you look at somespecies within Etheostomatinae they were diagnosed based on many more counts involving the ratios of each dorsal fin spine height and other ray/spine ratio stats. The fact that we could find such an easy combination of characters that aligned with the DNA was great. If we 'amped up' the meristic data collection to mirror some of those in the 50's to 80's, we probably could have found even more agreement between the meristics and DNA.

#4 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

So you weren't able to find recent specimens from the Roaring River Ben? I will still swear by reading a thesis in the TTU biology department office that reported them from one or two localities and sent Tyler Black and I on a day long hunt. I can't imagine anything else in the system other than the lone, odd Noturus record from the rough fish dam would have been of such interest to warrant a special trip. Above the falls was always one of my favorite places for a dip. Endemic fish, endemic mussels, and great musky fishing.

#5 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

Good work! It's a very cool-looking darter.

#6 Guest_bpkeck_*

Guest_bpkeck_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Hey Matt, they are in the Roaring and there's a live specimen at TTU. It's the only one they've seen in a while, so they're pretty rare. I haven't been able to do a genetic work up of it yet.

#7 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

At least the places I looked, there wasn't much Nothonotus habitat (i.e., large cobbles). It probably wouldn't hurt to add some material to that river like what has been done for wapiti in the Elk.

#8 Guest_pjc237_*

Guest_pjc237_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

That's an interesting (albeit unfortunate) note about the decline of E. basilare in the Calfkiller River. I've been collecting in Cherry Creek the last few years and noticed they were more uncommon this year than years prior.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users