Bluewater Lake, MN

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ryansholl_*

Guest_ryansholl_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

Knowing full well that I'm already gleaning a lot of great info from the forum, I figure I need to contribute in some way. Never had an audience for these pics before!

Just some photos I took last summer at my sister-on-laws' family's place. Was up there to photograph her brother's wedding (I'm much better out of the water!) and spent the remainder of my time getting a nice tan on my back, facedown in the water. Unfortunately not much aside from bluegill in their area of the lake.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Camera missed focus, but it's still my favorite.

Posted Image

Here's one of the lake, for good measure

Posted Image

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

Nice work Ryan. Proving once again that the most important piece of equipment is the eye behind the camera.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Wow. It isn't often I think of bluegills as being pretty, but I wouldn't be ashamed to have a fish like the one in that first photo in my display tank :)

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

Pic #1 looks like a straight bluegill, but some of the others look like they may be bluegill x green sunfish.

#5 Guest_ryansholl_*

Guest_ryansholl_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

...and that's something I'd have to defer to the pros here on the forum, Gerald. I know approximately nothing of native fish IDs. I come from aquaria and just know I enjoy watching (and hope to enjoy keeping) them. I'll learn more as time goes on and as I have more time and opportunity to get more familiar with Iowa waters.

Having now looked myself, i can definitely see how you'd ID them as green sunfish. Thanks!

#6 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

I come from aquaria and just know I enjoy watching (and hope to enjoy keeping) them. I'll learn more as time goes on and as I have more time and opportunity to get more familiar with Iowa waters.

You are in Iowa, you lucky duck! Ah I'd be so excited to snorkel there. That is prime Lepomis humilis territory. Distribution map: http://nas2.er.usgs.... &speciesid=383
Data sheet: http://nas.er.usgs.g...x?SpeciesID=383
That's the one sunfish that sorely tempts me to set up a sunfish tank. One of these days...

Edited by EricaWieser, 09 April 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#7 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:13 AM

Very nice photos Ryan. I especially like the third one. I agree with Gerald - it looks like there are some Greens and possibly Greengills mixed in with the Buegills.

#8 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

You are in Iowa, you lucky duck! Ah I'd be so excited to snorkel there. That is prime Lepomis humilis territory.

I hope you are aware of the multiple contradictions there! :P

#9 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

Nice pictures! I enjoy seeing the fish in their habitats.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#10 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

Wow some of them have a nasty black spot infection. Nice pics though.

#11 Guest_ttman_*

Guest_ttman_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

What is black spot infection ?

#12 Guest_XeevXwm_*

Guest_XeevXwm_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:31 PM

Very nice!

#13 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

The guy in the bottom right of the third picture doesn't look like bluegill to me...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users