• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_michifish_*

Guest_michifish_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

http://casb.okstate....-considerations

meant to say article on filtration

Edited by michifish, 10 April 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#2 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

I understand the concept but unless I am missing something here are some reasons I wouldn't go this route:

1) It takes up tank space
2) I don't want to use a powerhead or any pump that will dissapate heat into the water
3) I want to be sure the "clean" water travels throughout the tank before getting filtered again

#3 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

I had very similar complaints as you, and here's what I've found.

1.) Yes, but not much.
2.) You can use an airlifter or specially designed "Jetlifter" from Swiss Tropicals which is powered by an airpump.
3.) With a Jetlifter, and maybe an airlifter, you get enough flow to circulate the whole tank.

#4 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

My bad. I didn't see it was an airlift setup... It shows what looks to be a ten gallon. What about circulation a 15 or 20 long? I could see using something like this for the smaller sunfish that use all levels of the tank but I wouldn't use it for darters as I try to give the darters as much space as possible. And for them the bottom level is prime real estate.....but of course that's my preference. :rolleyes:

#5 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

I feel like the filtration is worth it. Also, my darter really seem to like climbing the wall.

#6 Guest_michifish_*

Guest_michifish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

I have Matten filters on tanks from 5 1/5 to 125 gallons and am in the process of switching most of my tanks over to them. Most are driven by home built airlifts made out of 1/2 inch pvc pipe. I have a few driven by Maxi-jet 1200 powerheads for stream fish and have not had any heat issues as they are in a room I can heat or cool to suit the fishes.

#7 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

Swisstropicals Poret is expensive compared to cheap polyurethane foam, but it's not bad compared to HOB or canister filters if you have multiple tanks. One good air pump can run a lot of them, and PVC pipe and elbows (for airlifts) are cheap. For 2" thick sheets prices are:

13 x 13" = $13 (for 15, 20L, 33L, etc)
13 x 19" = $20 (for 20H, 29, 30, 40, 55, etc)
19 x 19" = $28 (for 75, 100, 125)

3" or 4" thick sheets are proportionately higher.
Six sheets of 2" x 13 x 13" Poret plus shipping ($12) is $90. ... about $15 per tank (+ .60 or so for pvc)

I have not personally made/used mattenfilters, but I make lots of container-type filters using plastic bottles, tall CD-containers, etc, and home-made Poret inserts (permanent) for HOB filters instead of those disposable crap cartridges. BTW the owner Stephan Tanner is a great speaker for fish club conferences too.

#8 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

Does anyone have any idea if a HMF can be used with high flow? I'm talking on the order of 10000+ gph for a filter 18" x 24".

#9 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

I've seen it done, but I would reinforce it with PVC behind it in a grid pattern, drilling holes facing away from the mat, then using that pvc as the intake of the pump.

#10 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:38 AM

I have the rest of the plumbing figured out. No restrictive pvc intake manifold required!

#11 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

Well, I'd love to see a picture!

#12 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

Wow - that's almost 3 gallons per second. Planning to spawn sockeye salmon?
For support behind the foam, how about light fixture eggcrate or a plastic grate tray like bread delivery trucks use?

Does anyone have any idea if a HMF can be used with high flow? I'm talking on the order of 10000+ gph for a filter 18" x 24".

#13 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

Gerald, I think that idea would work great!

#14 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

Wow - that's almost 3 gallons per second. Planning to spawn sockeye salmon?
For support behind the foam, how about light fixture eggcrate or a plastic grate tray like bread delivery trucks use?

Nah but maybe Brook Trout!, I just have an 8' long 180 sitting around and thought it might make a nice stream tank, and I want serious flow. The plan is basically a Kreisel with the flow straightened out. There'll be a false bottom to allow for a plenum that will feed the pump section, and water movement will be 8 MJ1200s set up for circulation, so 8 x 1300 gph. The pumps will be mounted on one side of a watertight wall, so that they draw water from one side and discharge onto the other. An opening in the plenum at the other end of the tank to provide unrestricted return should give pretty reasonable linear flow.

Edited by Subrosa, 13 April 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#15 Guest_ryansholl_*

Guest_ryansholl_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

Have you considered a single, larger pump behind your partition/filter pumping via a single Pvc pipe to lots of outlets at the other end? That may end up being a more laminar flow. And you shouldn't need the plenum. Or 8 outlets :)

If its a drilled tank, using an external pump would also save you most of the added heat from 8 smaller pumps.

#16 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

PVC is most definitely not the way to go if you want the quantity and quality of flow that I do, and if you know of an external pump that will flow over 10000 gph and only use 160W doing it, let me know! Externals that move that much water are in the 2 hp range! I'm not looking for just a whole lot of flow, I'm looking for a whole lot of flow in one direction. I already drilled the tank for overflow, and can do more driling if I need to, but it doesn't make sense. A PVC manifold will require the water to swirl around to get into it. By using a plenum the entire width of the tank, less turbulence and more linear flow should be the result. Also the MJs in circulation mode produce a much wider cone of water than a normal powerhead, and 8 of them should just about cover the whole tank, front to back and top to bottom in what will amount to a continuous pressure wave that will travel a couple fps. I have a chiller if I need it.

#17 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

Here is my contribution to this discussion, in case anyone is interested. If not, please skip. I'm not here to offend anyone, just offer alternatives.

1) Overflow connects small tank inside stand to big display tank.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65yVr7DiDls
2) Plant eats nitrogenous waste. Freshwater could be ceratophyllum demersum, marine could be chaetomorpha.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0swLeG-NsLg
3) Reason why: see table 2: http://www.theaquari...ical_Filtration

You can also do plants in the main tank.
1) Full spectrum lighting or lights designed to have a lot of blue and red color, as that is what plants eat. Chlorophyll's absorption spectrum: http://upload.wikime...ctra-en.svg.png
2) Nutritious substrate, for example pure clay kitty litter, soil capped in gravel or sand, Flourite®, EcoComplete®, or something else designed for aquariums, or sand embedded with root tabs or Jobes fertilizer sticks. Nutrient analysis: http://www.thekrib.c...rate-jamie.html
3) Design layout. Enjoy. http://showcase.aqua...12/index0b.html

For all the people that don't like plants, fluidized beds are a thing to consider.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9AiYjUy3Q4
Info: http://www.bioconlabs.com/abtqs.html

Edited by EricaWieser, 13 April 2013 - 09:45 PM.

#18 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

One very important consideration with a fluidized bed is back up power. No commonly used biofilter will turn to lethal poo faster once the power goes out than a fluidized bed.

#19 Guest_ryansholl_*

Guest_ryansholl_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

PVC is most definitely not the way to go if you want the quantity and quality of flow that I do, and if you know of an external pump that will flow over 10000 gph and only use 160W doing it, let me know! Externals that move that much water are in the 2 hp range! I'm not looking for just a whole lot of flow, I'm looking for a whole lot of flow in one direction. I already drilled the tank for overflow, and can do more driling if I need to, but it doesn't make sense. A PVC manifold will require the water to swirl around to get into it. By using a plenum the entire width of the tank, less turbulence and more linear flow should be the result. Also the MJs in circulation mode produce a much wider cone of water than a normal powerhead, and 8 of them should just about cover the whole tank, front to back and top to bottom in what will amount to a continuous pressure wave that will travel a couple fps. I have a chiller if I need it.

Yeah, sorry... I had glanced over the gph you were aiming for and realized twenty minutes after I posted that you were probably referring to the propeller-fitted maxijets. Unfortunately I have no home internet connection so couldn't go back and edit. Point totally ceded :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users