non-bait native aquarium illegal in NH

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:18 AM

I have been avoiding even acknowleding this thread all day today but it has been really bothering me. I have quite a bit of experience on a much larger fishing related message board and any topics of politics and law are strictly forbiden and THIS thread is exactly why. On that website, and on this, these topics have no place. This board is in its infancy and at least three seperate threads that have turned into personal views on law have come up. It is dangerous, threatens membership, and has no relavence. This is a message board for native fish of North America not a policy advocation group. Yes, there are sections that link you to various state regulations, but they are nothing more then that. They are not up for "well this is how I do it". If you follow your own rules then fine, but it has no place being discussed here. Whether you like it or agree there are regulations each state has. Too many people here depend on responsible working relationships with state agencies and indirectly represent NANFA and fish collectors as a whole. As far as I know, no one here is in the position to have the authority to make an interpetation of the law in one state let alone all 50. Everything so far has essentially been speculation. I myself even speculated incorrectly and looking back I should have never even tried to because it is not my place nor am I qualifed to. I encourage anyone who further has questions about their laws and regulations to do the simplest thing possible. Contact your state natural resources agency. Go to the source instead of asking the wrong people in the wrong place. For everyones sake I hope this is the be all end all for matters that should discussed elsewhere.

I am in general agreement with you Matt, but I will add one comment. Laws should be written in plain English for all to understand. We should not have to consult a "qualified" person for an interpretation of the law. If it doesn't say what it means in plain English, then the law is poorly written. So as far as I am concerned, I should be able to read the regulations and comply with them, without contacting somebody at the state for an interpretation. So that is my intention, and my recommendation to all: read the applicable regulations in the state in which you are collecting/transporting, and comply with them.

#22 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:56 AM

I for one cannot understand why people cannot read. I in no way tried to place my interpratation on the law. "I was just giving my opinion on why it was written". I in no way am trying to twist the law, which I know is the law, to make myself somehow feel justified. That is all I was saying. But some just continue to misrepresent what I say. And that I do not like one bit. And I wish the powers to be would delete this whole thread.

#23 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:22 AM

I have been avoiding even acknowleding this thread all day today but it has been really bothering me. I have quite a bit of experience on a much larger fishing related message board and any topics of politics and law are strictly forbiden and THIS thread is exactly why.

Yet by your very participation you are now as guilty as those you are pointing the finger at. Thanks for your contributions. =D>

But seriously, aside from a little bit of less-than-polite debate on the matter it has been a useful thread.

#24 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:24 AM

Yet by your very participation you are now as guilty as those you are pointing the finger at. Thanks for your contributions. =D>

But seriously, aside from a little bit of less-than-polite debate on the matter it has been a useful thread.

Despite the heat that sometimes "all the time maybe" that comes from these debates. I have learned more from this thread and the one on dipnets about fishing laws that I have in the past forty years. So I agree with you viridari this has been a useful thread. Only one thing wrong though. If everyone could just learn to agree with me things would run a lot smoother. =D>

#25 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:00 AM

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I had the same reaction as Matt. The issues are serious ones if you collect fish for your own aquarium use, and more so if you do professional field work like Matt, myself and others on this list. There's no finger pointing involved, just the cold, hard fact of pointing out that the issue's not a joke for yuckin' and jiving. Your mileage may vary, of course.

#26 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:42 AM

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I had the same reaction as Matt. The issues are serious ones if you collect fish for your own aquarium use, and more so if you do professional field work like Matt, myself and others on this list. There's no finger pointing involved, just the cold, hard fact of pointing out that the issue's not a joke for yuckin' and jiving. Your mileage may vary, of course.

fondulus, bihary, viridini or how ever you spell it. Then Matt. Who is matt?? I wished we could just go by our handle names or at least have both names come up when we quote someone. I just like knowing who it biting my head off thats all LOL, joke, smile, grin :mrgreen: And can someone tell me how you use spell check on this thing?? :roll:

#27 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:29 AM

(...) viridini or how ever you spell it.

Viridari. It is right there in front of you. It's latin for "to become green".

The forum administrators have an option with this forum software, IIRC, to allow people to optionally display their real names in their profiles. It just doesn't seem to be enabled at this time.

#28 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:31 PM

The forum administrators have an option with this forum software, IIRC, to allow people to optionally display their real names in their profiles. It just doesn't seem to be enabled at this time.

Excuse me but it does not show up when you are quoteing someone else and that is what I was doing. But thanks for the explanation.

#29 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:01 PM

Well I think it should be an option a person checks if he wants his name displayed and not the option of an Administrator. So I agree with the Admin. that this thing is not enabled. But personaly if you want to know my name no problemo. Daniel J. Benoit "AKA / nativecajun" and that aint no bull. Maybe that is why I am so stuborn! Well not maybe. I am pure cajun and I fear the craziness has not worn off of me yet. We people down in Lafayette Louisiana know how to joke and have a good time. The good times ain't so good :twisted: some time but it sure is fun LOL. " Le' bontoun roule' " (?spelling) ( let the good times roll )

#30 Guest_Grumpyfish_*

Guest_Grumpyfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:42 PM

You may try contacting the division of wildlife there may be a scientific permit available or something.

I second that recommendation--my son lives in Australia (emigrated ~3 years ago), and we've all heard how "strict" they are concerning keeping wildlife as captives. Is actually NOT all that strict. Local govts pretty liberal when it comes to handing out permits to keep native reptiles, birds and even some mammals. And while they're adamantly opposed to releasing exotic fish in the wild (rightly so), I don't think even a permit is required to keep non-protected native fish species, and the export laws aren't as tight concerning fish, as well (have a friend down under in fish business, who's breeding an assorment of far-out native Ozzie fish...).

Point is, it always pays to contact a bureaucrat directly and ask concerning POLICY as opposed to the way the law reads. And go high up the food chain. Three different local fish cops will probably have three different interpretations.

You may find that a permit to keep pretty much whatever you want will be yours for the asking, or for a nominal fee, however draconian the law may sound...

Sincerely,

Fred (Grump)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users