bowfin questions

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MasterJW_*

Guest_MasterJW_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

hello, i'm new to bowfin and was wondering what size tank they should be kept in? also what are their general husbandry requirements.

#2 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

Considering their potential length, you'd want a tank with as much front to rear depth as possible to give it room to turn around comfortably, something at least 24", so the smallest tank I'd consider would be a 120 gal, 48" x 24" x 24". Bigger is always better.

Edited by Subrosa, 27 April 2013 - 12:32 AM.

#3 Guest_MasterJW_*

Guest_MasterJW_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

So it would probably be cheaper to buy a 300 gallon stock tank. Although that would mean that viewing would limited, but the fish would have more room.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

Males are much smaller than females. If you ration it's feedings after 10 inches or so, it's growth will slow substantially, and it may seem to almost stop at 12-14 inches. Must feed enough to keep it in good condition, but not enough to really promote growth.

#5 Guest_MasterJW_*

Guest_MasterJW_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

do you know where a good place to find them in my are, and if not where would be a good place to buy them?

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

There are a few for sale on aquabid.com in the US native fish section. Otherwise, western Tennessee, but I think Tn. has some strict collecting laws. They are basically absent throughout the Appalachians, and their foothills. They are east, west, and south of you.

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

Come on down to Mississippi, I can help you get some. With a little help from a castnet.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users