A saltwater species of Holden Beach, NC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_catfishcain_*

Guest_catfishcain_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

Attached are two pictures of the same species of fish caught from Holden Beach, NC. They were released back to the water after I captured a few pictures of them. I caught them in the shallows over sandy bottoms in gaps of vegetation along the shore lines in a foot or less of water. I know they are not freshwater species but I have seen several saltwater species posted on the site and have noticed several people on here that are quite knowledgable with saltwater species especially on the east coast. They were caught back on April 6, 2013 as the tide was moving in. At first I thought they were black drum but the shape of their fins don't match so I have no idea what they are.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

You've got the right family - it's a drum - that's as far as I can get.

#3 Guest_catfishcain_*

Guest_catfishcain_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

Thanks Gerald, you know that got me searching for pics of all the species of drum and I found several pics of juvenile red drum that looked a lot like mine. At first I had ruled out the red drum because there was no spot near the tail. But from the look of the pics online the spot doesn't appear or develop untill they get a little bigger then the size in my pics. Would anyone agree that it's a Red Drum?

#4 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

It's either a juvenile Spot, or Croaker.
Nick L.

#5 Guest_catfishcain_*

Guest_catfishcain_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

Found a great web site with drawn out stages of juvenile saltwater fish.

http://ww2.odu.edu/s...y/Spot/Spot.htm

After looking on this site I believe it's a juvenile Spot, because the shape of the tail fin.
Thanks for all the help.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users