what will work well with red shiners?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_guidedbyechoes_*

Guest_guidedbyechoes_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

So after having a variety of tanks I decided to do a native as most everyone else here has. I just tore down my reef tank as they are very difficult to move with and are costly to operate. I came across these fish and wondered what kind of tankmates would work well with them. I'm a fan or fish that like to move around a lot and of course bright in coloration. The setup I'm preparing for is a 55 gallon planted setup. These are the specific strain I'm looking into. Posted Image

I also saw some other nice shiners on aquabid, but didn't want to have any crossbreeding or aggression issues.
Here is another fish that caught my eye the strawberry banded topminnow

Posted Image

looks like a red killifish to me and of course all pictures and fish are property of Jason Fernadez.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

"Strawberry banded killifish"? I never heard of that one, but of course Aquabid strikes again, "banded topminnow" apparently doesn't have the same cache for Fundulus cingulatus.

#3 Guest_guidedbyechoes_*

Guest_guidedbyechoes_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

"Strawberry banded killifish"? I never heard of that one, but of course Aquabid strikes again, "banded topminnow" apparently doesn't have the same cache for Fundulus cingulatus.

No I said that's what it looked like, it was labeled as F. cingulatus. Common name strawberry banded topminnow. I have to find the specific name of the one I thought it looked like.

#4 Guest_guidedbyechoes_*

Guest_guidedbyechoes_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

N. guentheri is the one I thought it looked a lot like. Posted Image

#5 Guest_AussiePeter_*

Guest_AussiePeter_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

So after having a variety of tanks I decided to do a native as most everyone else here has. I just tore down my reef tank as they are very difficult to move with and are costly to operate. I came across these fish and wondered what kind of tankmates would work well with them. I'm a fan or fish that like to move around a lot and of course bright in coloration.

Red shiners will do well in your set up (just add water and they do well). They are extremely hyperactive which tends to disturb many other species. They are a bad invasive that has caused a lot of problems. Great by themselves, perhaps not so great with other species.

Cheers
Peter

#6 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

Yeah, Peter's right, A pretty fish but they can be problematic.

#7 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

might be OK with other active Cyprinella spp (satinfin, greenfin, whitetail, steelcolor, etc), blacknose dace, rosyside dace, bluehead or river chub, Lepomis sunfish, ...

#8 Guest_guidedbyechoes_*

Guest_guidedbyechoes_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

might be OK with other active Cyprinella spp (satinfin, greenfin, whitetail, steelcolor, etc), blacknose dace, rosyside dace, bluehead or river chub, Lepomis sunfish, ...

I'm also going go out on a limb and say the same species looks different depending on collection site. Also is the long ear sunfish out for consideration?

#9 Guest_scott361_*

Guest_scott361_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

I have some of those so called "strawberry banded topminnows" and they are F. cingulatus. I picked up a group back in March and they've done very well for me.
I saw them and knew that I recognised them from somewhere. It took me a few hours for things to click, but I knew that they were "Pink Lemonade" Killies. I started to search back through my favorite archives to refresh my memory.

They were originally named by Robert Rice's ( http://forum.nanfa.o...046-nativefish/) daughter Erin.
http://fins.actwin.c...9/msg00118.html
They're just a localized color morph, but really cool ones. O:) I'm kinda' surprised that no one here has put it together.
I realize that there are some unscrupulous people out there, but not everyone is.
Just a thought!
If you have the time, I highly recommend the old Native Fish Conservancy archives.
http://fins.actwin.com/nanf/
It has been invaluable to me.
Although I learn a lot from here, most of my information, over the years, has come from browsing it!
Which is were I first remember hearing of them.

#10 Guest_guidedbyechoes_*

Guest_guidedbyechoes_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

I have some of those so called "strawberry banded topminnows" and they are F. cingulatus. I picked up a group back in March and they've done very well for me.
I saw them and knew that I recognised them from somewhere. It took me a few hours for things to click, but I knew that they were "Pink Lemonade" Killies. I started to search back through my favorite archives to refresh my memory.

They were originally named by Robert Rice's ( http://forum.nanfa.o...046-nativefish/) daughter Erin.
http://fins.actwin.c...9/msg00118.html
They're just a localized color morph, but really cool ones. O:) I'm kinda' surprised that no one here has put it together.
I realize that there are some unscrupulous people out there, but not everyone is.
Just a thought!
If you have the time, I highly recommend the old Native Fish Conservancy archives.
http://fins.actwin.com/nanf/
It has been invaluable to me.
Although I learn a lot from here, most of my information, over the years, has come from browsing it!
Which is were I first remember hearing of them.

Yeah I don't think they would make good tank mates for the red shiners.

#11 Guest_scott361_*

Guest_scott361_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

I've had both, although not at the same time. I did keep a group of F.chrysotus (Golden topminow) with a mixture of very active Notropis, Pteronotropis, etc, and they did fine for many years.
It was just a matter of enough room and food for everyone. They all like their own section of the tank. Lots of plants, with fast current sections for some and quiet sections for others.
Otherwise, there were no issues that I ever saw.

#12 Guest_Rainbowrunner_*

Guest_Rainbowrunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

Just a thought!

Just as a matter of curiosity....Which unscrupulous act are you reffering to?

#13 Guest_Rainbowrunner_*

Guest_Rainbowrunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

The Red shiners have done well with Rainbow shiners & Fiery black shiners, and interestingly Austrailian Rainbows. A substrate spawner will not usually hybridize with a crevice spawner. Aggression is more likely to occur with adult males of the same species. (conspecifics.) Jason

Edited by Rainbowrunner, 17 June 2013 - 02:23 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users