Seine net stand

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

Thought I'd post a couple pictures of a stand I'm made and tested today so I can go out and seign alone and use the nets lengths to full adavntage. I wanted it light, able to break down, adjustable for multiple length nets and water depths, and lastly to be able to examine and/or remove what I caught without having to carry the net to the bank. Realize I didn't use glue on most of the joints (in case I wanted to make changes) and that caused a little bit of a problem but nothing that can't be fixed.

My wife was kind enough to come with me to take pictures but she stayed on the creek bank. We only spent about a half hour just downstream from our house and it was her first time using the camera. I think she did quite a good job.

The net I used in the following pictures was only six foot long but the stand will accomodate up to ten foot. I didn't get to try the ten foot because my photograher wanted to get back to working on the yard.... Another advantage I think with using this at a ten foot length, is while no one will have to hold the net it allows multiple people to "drive the fish into it. But a person on each end would have to lift it up into a table position as I am kind of leary to try and use the pole to lift it myself at that length.

I caught a young male Orangethroat in the riffles and various minnows/chubs in the deeper portion of the creek above the riffles. We only got a picture of the darter though since I didn't want to leave the other fish out of water the amount of time it would have taken to get the camera from my wife. She did take 47 pictures but since I can't post all of them here I posted all 47 on the "Percidae Husbandry" page of Facebook if you would like to see more.

Attached Images

• 001.JPG
  • 013.JPG
  • 014.JPG
  • 019.JPG
  • 029.JPG
  • 022.JPG
  • 026.JPG
  • 045.JPG
  • 041.JPG
  • 046.JPG

#2 Guest_AussiePeter_*

Guest_AussiePeter_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:46 AM

Great looking accessory!

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

how do you keep it in place while in the creek?

#4 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

Josh, the back legs tend to be drawn into the creek bed by the current going through the net. The front legs stay down due to the "table legs" (see fourth photo from top) placed forward of the net until it's lifted.

#5 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

Thanks Peter. I want to stiffen the legs though without adding alot of extra weight...

#6 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

Ken, would it be possible to get "X"-diameter (inch/cm/mm) wooden dowels that are the same length or slightly shorter that could slide inside of your legs? This way they become much more rigid and less likely to give/bow in strong current. (I would have suggested 'rebar' but you said you didn't want to add too much more weight :biggrin: ).
Nick L.

#7 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

Nick, I had thought of rebar (briefly) The concern I would have using wood is having it swell, rot and bouyancy. I was thinking of getting a few tubes of RTV and loading the PCV.

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

Great stuff spray foam may help with the flexing.

#9 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

That's true about the wood. You could plug both ends of the legs with silicone to prevent the swelling and rot, but the buoyancy might still be an issue. I do like Matts suggestion using Great Stuff---but you'd have to be creative in getting it into the middle of your pvc. The 'straw' it comes with is only 6" long or so as you probably know. You'd have to drill holes just big enough to insert the straw and inject the Stuff. But you'd still probably have buoyancy issues. They do have plastic/PVC dowels, but I'm not sure how much loot you're trying to throw into this project.
Nick L.

#10 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Thats pretty darn handy, Great idea!

#11 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

If you need stiffness and weight. Fill it with sand. silicone inside of one end, let it cure, fill with sand, silicone other end.

#12 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

I did some testing of a similar concept with BG Granier and his "darter gator". I came to the conclusion that a static net (i.e. anchored) is not an efficient collection mechanism. YMMV, let us know how it works out!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users