Fish ID books

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:08 AM

The Pearl system I am VERY familiar with. The Pascagoula - I've made maybe one or two forays into that area, I think it was the Leaf R (looking for a good bluenose site other than the Pearl ones already I know about).

The Pearl River proper would be a great place to do a canoe/collecting expedition - maybe a couple of days to explore all the litte tributaries and stuff. There are plenty of sandbars to pitch tents on. Canoeing partners are harder to find than seining partners :-(

#22 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:10 AM

So DRED, how is it we've never crossed paths? I know BG quite well and have met Leo - both guys from your neck of the woods.

#23 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:20 AM

The Pearl system I am VERY familiar with. The Pascagoula - I've made maybe one or two forays into that area, I think it was the Leaf R (looking for a good bluenose site other than the Pearl ones already I know about).

The Pearl River proper would be a great place to do a canoe/collecting expedition - maybe a couple of days to explore all the litte tributaries and stuff. There are plenty of sandbars to pitch tents on. Canoeing partners are harder to find than seining partners :-(

Well. I just happen to own a canoe and use it as much as I have time for. There are some good bluenose site in the Pascagoula system, the best ones I have found are in the headwaters of *secret* creek.

#24 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:23 AM

So DRED, how is it we've never crossed paths? I know BG quite well and have met Leo - both guys from your neck of the woods.

I spent most of my time in Hattiesburg in the ich. lab id'ing fish or In the water somewhere causing trouble.

#25 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:59 AM

Sorry for the edit Dredcon. If we were discussing bluegill locations I would leave it. Since this forum can be viewed by both good and bad guys I'll just ask specifics be left out of sensitive fish locations. Please feel free to share any specifics with trustworthy individuals via private message (PM).

This is the first instance of this on the board. If anyone feel that I'm over reacting please feel free to tell me in public or via PM. We want to keep discussion open but not disclose locations of fish that may suffer from over harvesting from unscrupulous collectors.

#26 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:05 AM

Sorry for the edit Dredcon. If we were discussing bluegill locations I would leave it. Since this forum can be viewed by both good and bad guys I'll just ask specifics be left out of sensitive fish locations. Please feel free to share any specifics with trustworthy individuals via private message (PM).

This is the first instance of this on the board. If anyone feel that I'm over reacting please feel free to tell me in public or via PM. We want to keep discussion open but not disclose locations of fish that may suffer from over harvesting from unscrupulous collectors.

Good call, I'm not thinking tonight. The spot is well protected by my large, mean gator snappers anyway.
Thanks for the catch.

#27 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:16 PM

I agree - these bluenose sites should be kept secret. I have expressed my opinion on this matter many times.

#28 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:11 PM

I agree - these bluenose sites should be kept secret. I have expressed my opinion on this matter many times.

You are right, I was not thinking stright.

#29 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:02 PM

Come to think of it, maybe there should be some sticky post in the "collection sites info" subsection admonishing posters to keep their site info as vague as possible. People can always PM the poster for more details, which the poster can then filter as needed, but it would keep some unregistered badguy from getting some too-useful info before the post could be found and edited by a moderator.

As for the longnose/orangefin thing, last Easter when Todd was down in my area we found a bunch of stuff in the Yellow River, among them Florida Sand Goby ( which we at first thought was Naked Sand Goby ) Silverjaw Minnows ( which Todd thought would make excellent research subjects for a genetic study which was recently done, proving a new species ) and what we thought were Orangefins, but turned out to be Longnoses. It turns out the two are separated almost at the AL/MS state line and don't much overlap, at least according to the book we read. by the way, the Mettee book is nice, but the new Boschung book...hooboy. You gotta get it.

#30 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:54 AM

Are you sure you don't mean the Yazoo shiner v. the orangefin. rather tan the orangefin v. longnose. According to the Boschung book, both longnose and orangefins occur in AL. As a matter of fact, we caught both species the day before we met up with you in the spring. The Yazoo shiner does not come into AL though.

#31 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:49 PM

No, I meant longnose vs orangefin. However, I did goof on the demarcation line, as it's not on the state border but the watershed border, which in my mind I sometimes confuse due to their proximity. My bad..

#32 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:33 AM

I am trying to convince myself to throw that Audubon book in the trash, but the photos are nice to look at.

I looked at the Audubon Book in the book store. Yep thats what I did !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users