Centarchids in a 30 gallon

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

I've been weaned off the idea of pygmy sunfish by the fact that my parents will not permit me to grow microworms (which would be their fry food) in the house. Thus, I am considering other native fish - preferrably colorful, attractive native fish.
From what I understand, several true sunfish species are colorful enough to fit my bill. Which sunfish species can be kept in a 30 gallon without it being a specimen tank?

#2 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

Orange Spots

#3 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

I admit now that I want a specimen tank - the sheer size of some sunfish is of more interest to me than a bunch of little, less impressive species. So here are some questions about sunfish:

1 - Will they bother plants?

2 - Will they need to be fed live food initially, or wil they take frozen as soon as you get them?

3 - This isn't sunfish related, but I intend to use clay cat litter as a substrate in my tank. Is clay cat litter prone to clouding the water? If so, how can I put in the cat litter without clouding the water?

#4 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

1-I've never had one of my sunfish bother plants.

2-Mine have always taken to frozen food just fine. May take a few days though. Mine like frozen blood worms that have been thawed really well. The movement of the worms slowly sinking to the bottom gets their attention. Live crickets work well too.

3-I use top soil instead of kitty litter, but the same process should work. Before adding any water, put down your top soil or kitty litter, then cap it with sand(1"-3") or so. Add water slowly by pouring it into a plate or bowl sitting in the tank so that the runnoff is distributed well(keep it level). It will take a while to fill but once you get a level in the tank it goes a little faster.

Even a large pumpkin seed or such may be too big for a 30 gallon in my opinion.(just an opinion) A single northern longear male may work though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users