Algae Eater

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Eyebiter_*

Guest_Eyebiter_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:08 AM

Is there a good native algae eater? Are there suckers that will eat algae off glass and rocks? I figure something has to fill this nitch.

Thanks

#2 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:12 AM

Sailfin mollies and flagfish will both eat algae off of glass and plants.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:46 AM

Is there a good native algae eater? Are there suckers that will eat algae off glass and rocks? I figure something has to fill this nitch.

Thanks

If you have a tank with relatively cool, flowing water, stonerollers can be extremely effective too.

#4 Guest_Eyebiter_*

Guest_Eyebiter_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:49 AM

If you have a tank with relatively cool, flowing water, stonerollers can be extremely effective too.

I have decent water flow and and my tank's around 62. I don't know much about stoneollers so I'll have to look into them.

Flagfish are great but too small.

#5 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:35 PM

I have decent water flow and and my tank's around 62. I don't know much about stoneollers so I'll have to look into them.

Flagfish are great but too small.

Stonerollers get to a decent size and I keep some in a couple of my tanks. They don't eat off the glass but will eat algae off plants and rocks.

#6 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:13 PM

Stonerollers get to a decent size and I keep some in a couple of my tanks. They don't eat off the glass but will eat algae off plants and rocks.

The stonerollers that Skipjack sent me actually did eat off the glass! At one point, the algae on the glass got a little out of control, and it took me a while to figure out what was making the "snacking pattern" that was different from the trails the snails leave. I finally saw them: they would sort of pick at the glass and take off little crescent-shaped chunks. Sort of like an algae-free hickey. Unfortunately, they were lost during The Great Move.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users