Greenside Darters?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_featherbrain_*

Guest_featherbrain_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

Spent some more time in the Little Pigeon River yesterday and came across several darters that I'm not confident in the identification. I think I've narrowed it down to Greenside or Blueside Darters. I think that the individuals are broken up like this, parentheses indicate individuals: (1) (2) (3,4,5) (6,7).
I'm thinking that 1 through 5 have a face shape that fits better with Greenside. Individual (6,7) appears different, but it could also be because it was a lot younger (presumably, it was smaller). Using both my Peterson and the Fish of Tennessee, and I'm still having trouble getting some solid field marks other than ones that I would only be able to determine in hand.

Thanks for the help! I've learned so much on this forum and have been really excited to ID a lot of fish in the water, such a rewarding feeling!

Attached Files

• Attached File  IDc1.JPG   113.38KB   3 downloads
  • Attached File  IDc2.JPG   147.5KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  IDc3.JPG   105.03KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  IDc4.JPG   110.09KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  IDc5.JPG   155.26KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  IDc6.JPG   144.22KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  IDc7.JPG   140.95KB   0 downloads

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

By blueside are you referring to E. jessiae? If so, they are a very plain looking darter when not in color and unmistakable as a stigmaeum type darter when they are in color with tons of blue. I believe the first 5 photos are E. swannanoa and the last two are E. blennioides or whatever blennioides-like fish is in that area.

#3 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

Agree with Dustin - the fish with rows of little rusty dots are E. swannanoa. See Fishes of Tennessee description.
I think the "greenside darter" variety in Pigeon River may now be considered E. gutselli, the Tuckasegee darter.
Not sure if gutselli and "true" blennioides overlap anywhere ... anybody know?

#4 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

Nice Swannanoa pictures! I have been out snorkeling with them twice (once this afternoon) and have not managed a single half decent picture of one yet.

#5 Guest_featherbrain_*

Guest_featherbrain_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

Nice Swannanoa pictures! I have been out snorkeling with them twice (once this afternoon) and have not managed a single half decent picture of one yet.

Trust me, it wasn't easy! I was afraid I wasn't going to get any. It took me a lot of patient stalking to get those!

Thanks for all the help guys, this forum has been a life saver for me. Just for my personal edification, what are some good field marks for these species? I see the W's on the side of the blennoides sp (which I assume to be E. gutselli), but what else should I look for (especially on the Swannanoa)?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users