Leaf litter?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

I've heard that leaf litter promotes infusoria growth in fish tanks: thus, would dried, fallen leaves be helpful in an elassoma tank?

#2 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

Absolutely. That is the single most prominent feature of their preferred native habitat. I think the stained water makes them feel more comfortable too, and it looks good once you get used to the idea. Especially if you're trying to breed them, I think the fry will have a hard time without a constant food source like that. Dense algae works also, both in tanks and in the wild, but tends to stick to your glass and you may find it less attractive. Leaves are definitely much less work, and can promote other interesting things if you want (it's good for baby crayfish too, for example).

#3 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

At the same time that I acknowledge that dried leaves can go in an Elassoma tank, I would like to say that they are certainly not necessary. My Elassoma gilberti fry were quite flexible about what they chose as their cover. Here's a picture of them hiding in the roots of duckweed floating at the surface. Normally they are more famous for hiding at the bottom of the tank, but this picture shows that that is not always true. The fry will hide wherever there is cover and food. It doesn't have to be leaf litter on the ground, but that is one option.
Posted Image
http://gallery.nanfa...07_002.JPG.html

Now, with that being said I'd like to focus on something else: food. If you are feeding the fry microworms like I was, because the microworms sink it's easier to concentrate the fry at the bottom of the tank where the food is. If you're feeding them moina, infusoria, baby brine shrimp, etc swimming food, the fry can be up in the water column and still eat. These fry in the picture were eating tiny food like that, not so much microworms.

Edited by EricaWieser, 01 June 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#4 Guest_bflowers_*

Guest_bflowers_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

I use about a dozen oak leaves to provide cover for the fry, never thought of the leaves providing food for the fry. I also use microworms for their first food.

Bill Fl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users