Bluntnose or Fathead Minnow?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MichaelAngelo_*

Guest_MichaelAngelo_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

These were caught in a small pond in southern Ontario, specifically in Whitby Ontario.

I believe these to be bluntnose minnow. However, some of them have herring bone lines above their lateral line...

Peterson's guide says that the fathead minnow is the only Pimephales with herring bone lines.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by MichaelAngelo, 31 May 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

Those all look like promelas to me. Bluntnose minnows have a much more "squared off" look to them.

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

Agreed.

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

Yeah, the male fish in those photos have the classic "pad" on top of their head more typical of fatheads.

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

Those pictures are sharp enough even my bad eyes can count the fin rays! Quick question, fish #4 and fish #5 seem to have funky things going on with their eyes. #4 might just be looking down, but #5 looks like it has problems. (Since no one mentioned it, maybe it's just a fluke of photography.) My question, are there eye diseases I should be looking for while in the waterand sorting through potential aquarium fish? I know the usual red flags when looking at fins, scales, and body, but never really thought about the eyes. Unless, like maybe one is missing or something...

I apologize if I'm thread-jacking.

Edited by mattknepley, 31 May 2013 - 08:45 PM.

Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#6 Guest_MichaelAngelo_*

Guest_MichaelAngelo_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:47 AM

Thank-you for the assistance guys. Now, a friend of mine pointed out that the dorsal in of Fish #5 has a different shape to it than the dorsal fins of the rest of the fish in this thread:

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users