To centrarchid, I have questions for you!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

Since you have knowledge on the hybrids of Centrarchids and I want to ask you some questions about if the hybrids of pumpkinseeds or redear sunfish can posses specialized pharyngeal teeth to crush the mollusks? Such as Redear x Green hybrid or Pumpkinseed x Bluegill or Pumpkinseed x Green or Redear x Bluegill etc?

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

Butch, you may also want to private message Centrarchid, just to be sure he sees this topic.

#3 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

I think his PM is full or something.

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

Butch,

Something is wrong with my e-mail and likely related to my not paying dues.

Crosses we made were the following:
Redear x Pumpkin
Redear x Green
Redear x Warmouth
Redear x Bluegill
Redear^2 x Pumpkin
Redear^2 x Warmouth
Others also made but not evaluated.

We did not look at pharyngeal morphology but did run some feeding trials to see who would consume snails. They did not always crush snails during consumption. Regular hybrids unless part pumpkinseed were not as good as pure redear at consuming snails. The triploids were pretty darn good at consuming snails. We used a range of ramshorn snail sizes where with the largest snails only pure redear and the triploids eat them. The behavior with respect crushing could be impacted by dietary history of individual fish. My guess is that if fish consume snails more consistently they will adapt and crush snails to increase processing capacity and effecicency. Passing intact those intact shells must have been unpleasant and intact shells take up a lot more gut volume that do those that are crushed.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

Centrarchid, you private messenger should work even if you are not a NANFA member. Could your inbox be full?

#6 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

Yes, but I am unable to delete postings.

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:34 PM

Click on the box to the right of the conversations that you want to delete. Scroll to the bottom of the page and the delete option shows up. Click the box to the right that says "go"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users