surprise, darter fry

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_baker46947_*

Guest_baker46947_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

Back in early April I went to Lake Manitou in north centeral Indiana. There I tried to fish to no avail, so I went netting along the shore. I was looking for the large livebearing snails that I.ve found there before. I got one snail and two darters. One an obvious egg laden female the other a male. They went in a outside planter of about twenty gal. That was it, ...... until 6-8-13. I was taking java moss out of the planter and saw a small fish. Knowing I did not put small fish in it, I wanted to see want the heck i had. There they were, about eight in my net. 1/2" long speckly brown fish, the adults were 1.75" when taken home. Now what do I do with them?

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

Now what do I do with them?

Be super happy? It's really hard to breed darters. That's awesome that you have young :)

I think you should hold off on selling them before you call your local representative for the department of natural resources. It's potentially illegal to sell native fish species in some places. It's hard to prove you bred, not caught, them. Worse comes to worse and you find out you can't sell them, you can offer them on the NANFA trading dock to someone else in exchange for something they have. I see you're a registered NANFA member, so you should be able to see the trading dock part of the forum.

Edited by EricaWieser, 09 June 2013 - 09:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users