First Sampling Trip! Sugar Creek in Edwards Co. IL

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

So, this morning was the first sampling trip I've ever done. I took a little photo tank with me and went out to Sugar Creek in Edwards County IL. I've got some questions about the fish I caught and could use some help with the ID's. I'll post the each separate fish as a different response because I took several pictures of each fish. These first two on this response are both green sunfish. The one was really neat looking because his front half was a really light color and his back half was a dark olive color. The photo doesn't show it very well because he had swallowed the hook really deep and despite crimping the barb he was bleeding through the gills by the time I got it out and he was losing color fast. Anyways, this was one of the best experiences I have had with fishing and fish in general. It was neat to pull up these different kinds of fish and see what was around. And to top it all off, I was still able to go home take a shower and make it in to work 30 minutes early.

Attached Images

• IMG_0766.JPG
  • IMG_0765.JPG
  • IMG_0764.JPG
  • IMG_0763.JPG

#2 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

This next one was the only minnow I caught, he unfortunately swallowed the hook pretty deep too. Not sure what kind he is though. A little help would be appreciated. I couldn't get a good picture of his head because he would calm down.

Attached Images

• IMG_0769.JPG
  • IMG_0768.JPG

#3 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

Now, I don't know if this is a pumpkinseed or a northern longear. What do you all think?

Attached Images

• IMG_0771.JPG
  • IMG_0770.JPG

#4 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

ThiII'm I'm trying to figure out this one too. Pumpkinseed or longear? Both of these that I can't figure out came from the exact same spot.

Attached Images

• IMG_0775.JPG
  • IMG_0774.JPG
  • IMG_0773.JPG
  • IMG_0772.JPG

#5 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

I looked up the minnow and I'm guessing creek chub. What do you all think?

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:57 AM

Looks like a creek chub, but the photo is bad. The others are central longear.

#7 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

Yeah I would say that's a creek chub. Take a closer look at the ear flaps of Longear vs pumpkinseed. They are both colorful species but that will help you pin them down.

#8 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

Agreed on creek chub and central longear. Pumpkinseeds are probably only in the northern half of the state.

#9 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

Thanks everyone! It was an awesome trip and hopefully the first of many. I found a couple spots that would be good for seining so I think that's my next step. Also, I'll probably get a water resistant camera that'll take better pictures than my phone.

#10 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

Looks like fun. That last sunnie is a pretty one, too. Kudos for sneaking in some fish time before work!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#11 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

Another day of dork fishing yesterday(that's what my wife affectionately calls it). Caught a couple minnows. I think they're creek chubs again. Caught a really nice longear(I think) as well. Also, caught a crayfish by hand and found a turtle on the side of the road. Didn't realize it was a snapping turtle till I tried to pick it up and it swung around and almost took my finger off. I had my daughter with me and she thought it was hilarious. I on the other hand almost wet my pants.

Attached Images

• IMG_0794.JPG
  • IMG_0793.JPG
  • IMG_0791.JPG
  • IMG_0788.JPG

#12 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

I would agree with your IDs there. That Longear is a beautiful fish.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users