Bluegill fry

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_junker68_*

Guest_junker68_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

I've been lurking here for a while reading and absorbing much of the information contained here.
I've got a 125 gallon native tank, stocked with a couple of Perch, 4 Bluegill/Sunfish and two small grass pickerel.
For the past two seasons the female Perch has laid a ribbon of eggs with no successful fertilization.
Two of the male Bluegills have always built nests, also with no success. Well this year one of the males started building a nest, the female came over, they did their little dance. Today I noticed a bunch of teeny - tiny little fry floating up and down along the bottom of the nest!
There are alot!
Question...now what?
I've been reading and it's tough to get an exact answer. I do not want to remove the fry from the tank. I would if I have to. I know I will lose many of them because of the other fish.
Do I just introduce the zooplankton and hope that they make their way to the fry?
I will consider all advice...

Thanks in advance,

Dwayne

#2 Guest_junker68_*

Guest_junker68_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

Day two,

There's a ton of fry in there. I removed some and placed them in suspended netting I have at the top of the tank. I started to feed them some of that Hakari fry food, we'll see how it goes.

Here's a video link if interested,

Dwayne

#3 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:59 PM

Very cool! Keep us posted!!

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

That's very cool. It is nearly impossible to get any to grow out in a community tank... just too many hungry mouths. Separating them is the way to go, and it seems like you have come upon a good compromise.

If I really wanted to save some I will tell you what I would do... I would siphon them out of the tank with a hose that they would easily fit through... into something like a small 25 gallon trash can or best case, a 50 gallon rubbermade stock tank. Siphon the tank so that the only water you have in your "new" tank is water from your existing tank. Then have the 50 gallon stock tank in the back yard (obviously you would have to do this in buckets or something as you cant carry the 50 gallon tank once it is full, but you get the idea). Its summer time in North America, so your fish will be fine and they will grow much more quickly outside than what you could possible ever feed them. Depending on your daytime high temps, you might been to shade this, but best bet would be to add some live plant.

But thats just me...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

Dwayne,

How big is the flower pot? Where did you get the parental fish? Could you show a picture of the parents?

#6 Guest_junker68_*

Guest_junker68_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

Well, I screwed up royally.

I was going to do what Michael suggested in a day or two, when I actually saw the fry doing more than acting like "Mexican jumping beans." I have an extra tank, they were going to go in there but I was also going to let a bunch stay in the tank to see what percentage survived.

The video above, was a large minnow net hanging from the edges of the top of the aquarium.

I topped off the water level, to submerge the net as much as possible, but by doing that, my return filtered water line was under water. So, instead of causing a disturbance on top of the water and putting oxygen back into the water, the water was returned below the water line, hence no oxygen was going back into the tank.

Well, when I woke up the next morning the fish were close to starving for oxygen, the fry did not make it but the fish were ok.

Man, was I bummed out...Lesson learned.

#7 Guest_junker68_*

Guest_junker68_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

The flower pot is about an inch and I'll post pics of the parents later, Dwayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users