Hello from South East Tennessee

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RobGfor3_*

Guest_RobGfor3_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

hello,

my name is Rob and I have recently moved to Cleveland, TN from West Palm Beach, Florida. I am a Fisheries major at Tennessee Tech University and also a student intern at the Tennessee Aquarium. I have recently snorkeled for natives with some employees from the aquarium and a few days later i bought my own wet suit and snorkeling mask, and now every chance i get im out somewhere snorkeling! I usually go the the Hiwassee River, Spring Creek, and the Conasauga River. Does anybody know of any other snorkel spots to view natives in south east Tennessee??? My main focus is on Darters.I have also been to Tellico Plains but cannot seem to find a good spot to snorkel.

thanks!

Rob

#2 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

Welcome Rob,

I don't have any spots, but I'm sure some of our TN members will chime in soon. Welcome to NANFA.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

You live in the region with the Snorkelmeister himself (our NANFA Fellow, the illustrious and renowned Casper (I mean gin clear and don't care how cold it is) Cox), so I am not going to presume to try to give you much of an answer. On the other hand, I think he might still be on vacation out in Arkansas or something. The one other place I can think of that is close to you, is the Ocoee where it crosses 411.. roads change, but a couple of years ago there was a nice boat ramp and a picnic table there... nothing else in the way of facilities... but lots of fishes in the water!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

Once you join NANFA i will tell you of my secret spots.
:)
I am in Chattanooga. If you drive to Cookeville TTU for school you have quite a drive everyday.
Check out the posting on the CFI party tomorrow. It will offer clear water in a unique setting.
You are in good waters, plenty to explore.
Wander this forum and you will find many accounts and locations to explore.
If you have already been with some TN Aqua employees you should have a good lead on locations as well.
Get a TN Gazeer and study it. You have already mentioned excellent and convenient waters.
This forums accounts, Trip Reports, South and Photography all have excellent photos and stories.

#5 Guest_RobGfor3_*

Guest_RobGfor3_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

I sent out my membership dues on tuesday so it should arrive shortly. I live in Cookeville when I'm going to school and live here in Cleveland for the summer time with my parents. So if anyone has any snorkeling spots around cookeville-nashville, or even as far east as knoxville please let me know. I know of at least 2 other fish students who share the same hobby. I plan on getting a camera and getting pictures of my home waters in SE Tennessee and the waters around school and where ever else i travel to. This is a project i look forward to working on for many years to come.

Thanks,

Rob

#6 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

Excellent...
I have just returned from a 2 week snorkeling wander through MO & AR so busy with the real world demands now. I will soon be back in the water though, leading trips to the Conasauga in July and August.
I have had fine results with my Pentax WG2 after several years of frustration with the leaking Olympus models.
There is plenty to see in East Tennessee.
Welcome.
:)

Oh yea... consider the Little River... both the south one and the north one!

#7 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

Hey Rob, recent TTU alumni here and I did tons of snorkeling in my two years out there. Shoot me a private message. Get out with Casper if you can, it is a treat.

#8 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

Welcome to the forum! If you ever come up to SW Virginia, hit me up!

#9 Guest_RobGfor3_*

Guest_RobGfor3_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

@ashtonmj, it says you cant recieve any messages right now.

@kanus, for sure man!

#10 Guest_velvetelvis_*

Guest_velvetelvis_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

Welcome from another (former) Floridian!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users