Ricciocarpus Natans For Everybody

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

I went away for a week and when I came back my ricciocarpus natans had proliferated quite a lot. I scooped it out and now have two big buckets of it. Unfortunately I don't have the floor space for two big buckets of plants. If you are a NANFA member and pay $10 to cover shipping I will send you some big handfuls of it. It's a native plant and it does very well in aquariums.

Pictures of ricciocarpus natans:
Posted Image
http://gallery.nanfa...8-4/007_004.JPG

Posted Image
http://gallery.nanfa...2-4/013_001.JPG

Edited by EricaLyons, 29 June 2013 - 07:16 PM.

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

Hmmm ... you came back with a new last name too. congrats! (and we hope he likes fish).

#3 Guest_siharimau_*

Guest_siharimau_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

I went away for a week and when I came back my ricciocarpus natans had proliferated quite a lot. I scooped it out and now have two big buckets of it. Unfortunately I don't have the floor space for two big buckets of plants. If you are a NANFA member and pay $10 to cover shipping I will send you some big handfuls of it. It's a native plant and it does very well in aquariums.

Pictures of ricciocarpus natans:
Posted Image
http://gallery.nanfa...8-4/007_004.JPG

Posted Image
http://gallery.nanfa...2-4/013_001.JPG

Hello, Erica...
I am definitely interested in your *R. natans* ... To which paypal address should I send the $$ ? I have been out of the hobby after major deaths in my family but need to get back into things again. Let me know?

#4 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

Hello, Erica...
I am definitely interested in your *R. natans* ... To which paypal address should I send the $$ ? I have been out of the hobby after major deaths in my family but need to get back into things again. Let me know?

I responded to your private message with my e-mail address.

#5 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

Hmmm ... you came back with a new last name too. congrats! (and we hope he likes fish).

Thanks!

#6 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

After sending this out to multiple people, I still have a bunch if anyone else wants any.

#7 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

It's NOT duckweed ... it's NOT duckweed ... it's NOT duckweed ...
but still, the more you give away the faster it comes back .... which probably means it's an excellent nitrate remover.

#8 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

It's NOT duckweed ... it's NOT duckweed ... it's NOT duckweed ...
but still, the more you give away the faster it comes back .... which probably means it's an excellent nitrate remover.

And just as you say this, I run out. I shipped out two boxes today.

The only reason I had lots is because I lost 40 fish while away on vacation and in the week afterwards. It wasn't growing on nitrate, it was growing on ammonium. Which it loved, but I prefer not to grow my plants that way. (Off the corpses of my breeding colony). I went down to zero female adult heterandria formosa, so we'll see if any of the female fry become mature adults. Hopefully yes, otherwise I'm officially out of native fishies. For some reason there are a dozen males. Maybe they are less likely to die from ammonia poisoning.

Plants prefer ammonium over nitrate: http://theaquariumwi...ical_Filtration

#9 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

I got a starter of this stuff from Gerald. It's definitely nice because it doesn't take off as insanely fast as duckweed, and is much easier/cleaner to work with. It took a while to really get going, but I have been enjoying watching it grow lately. Highly Recommended.

#10 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

The thing I like about it is when you try to remove it from your tank, it's gone. When you try to remove duckweed from your tank, a week later you'll still have it because all the underwater bits can pop back up and still grow. If ricciocarpus natans gets stuck underwater, it dies.

#11 Guest_jacksmelt_*

Guest_jacksmelt_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

you get any more erica let me know. i have algae problems w/ 10 types of plants and 50 trumpet snails in my 55 gal. i need more aggressive growing plants.

#12 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

you get any more erica let me know. i have algae problems w/ 10 types of plants and 50 trumpet snails in my 55 gal. i need more aggressive growing plants.

I've got more at the moment. I'm sending you a private message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users